SEA MAGIC JIGGING RODS?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by fathom, Apr 11, 2007.

1. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I have the 600 gram Dragon fly and it is a great rod. It is a little on the heavy side for jigging all day but if your fishing around structure with heavy drag settings it is the only way to go. If your looking for something with more action and a little lighter for all day jigging comfort then go with the 400 gram.
    There is a thread in the rod review forum that you should check out.

3. fathom

NEW WEAPON! AVET H-X 2 SPEED 500YDS. 80LB. SPECTRA, SEA MAGIC 600 GRM. ROD.

Attached Files:

4. gman

gman Senior Member

My son has a 400g dragonfly rod paired with his accurate 665. I was pleasantly surprised the rod has great action. We loved it. The wraps and craftsmanship is great

5. gman

gman Senior Member

we have the split grip and its looks sharp, noon in the northeast uses split grips except the hardcore jiggers. The 400 is light BTW

6. fathom

I have the 400 grm. with a avet jx3, am bringing both along with stella 10000 on smith karama for popping on Kil's gm jigging trip.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

your on Kils trip? so was I unfortunately my schedule changed 3 times so i had to back out

8. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

I just got a Calcutta 400TE, do you think the 400g rod would be overkill for the reel? I would use it mostly in the northeast, and for a few trips to the Keys. The reel is going to be filled with 65lb Power Pro

9. gman

gman Senior Member

the 400G was light IMHO, I sold ours search the classifieds for an accurate sea magic rod for images under load

10. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

the 400G was light IMHO, I sold ours search the classifieds for an accurate sea magic rod for images under load

what? I don't understand what you're saying here, is the reel too light for the rod or the rod light in weight for a 400g rod?

I think i might be getting a barefoot rod for right now, the price is right!

Barefoot 6'0" Jigging Conventional Fishing Rod FBCJR325
    250-325g jigs

11. gman

gman Senior Member

i didn't care for the action of the rod, I felt that with 20 lbs of drag it was maxed out. We ran into some big AJ's and I thought it needed more backbone so I sold it. The 600g would be a better suited rod for jigging IMHO

12. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

ok, I'm only putting a 400TE on on it, which only makes out 20lbs on full, so I'm not worried about bottoming it out dragwise, and I'd use it mostly up here in the northeast.

for right now, I think I'm going to get the barefoot, and use it on my trip to key west on the 8th. We're going to get AJ's but I'll keep this rod for lighter jigging and use the captain's gear.

I'm going with Rush Maltz, who butterfly jigs, so I can give another report on the Trevala "noodle sticks" and how they do with 40lb AJ's. He's used them with great success on up to 60lb or so AJ's so we'll see how it goes.

13. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

what? I don't understand what you're saying here, is the reel too light for the rod or the rod light in weight for a 400g rod?

I think i might be getting a barefoot rod for right now, the price is right!

Barefoot 6'0" Jigging Conventional Fishing Rod FBCJR325
    250-325g jigs

How did that Barefoot 6'0" rod work out for you? You happy with it? Its all sold out now, but I am cosidering getting:

FBCJR-400 Conventional: 4'10", 80#-200# braid, 300g-400g lure
    and/or
    FBCJR-250 Conventional: 5'2", 30#-80# braid, 200g-250g lure

If I get one or both of them its just to see if I will like jigging with a short rod (under 5'8"). I would use it with a Daiwa Saltist 30T with 50# braid.

I do plan to get a high in rod OTI 600G and/or Custom Spiral Wrap rod for my larger reels, so these Barefoot Rods would serve the low end. What you think?

Ty

14. papio

papio Senior Member

ty2,

I got the 4'10 conventional and really like it. Have battled with monstor AJs trying to pull them off the rigs, and lost everytime. But so were other guys around me losing fish with their much bigger tackle.

The rod is very thin but sturdy. Cheap hardware, but, sooooo much better than the Trevalas,,,,great price too.

15. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Ty: I got the opportunity to jig with the Barefoot 4'10". FBCJR-400 Conventional: 4'10", 80#-200# braid, 300g-400g lure. with Freddy the other day paired with the mini avet sx 2 speed and although we didn't catch any monsters on it, it did handle 35" with no problems at all. I thought I would be against the short rods also, but they worked great. I was impressed. If you look at the pictures Freddy posted you can see the small barefoot in action. Good luck on your decision. I can say it is nice to see and feel if possible them in action before you buy.

16. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the newest dragonfly 400 spin i got was 6' and all fuji as opposed to the older alps fitted rods. i believe the older rods were 5'8 as well. to long for me. i like between 5' and 5'6. with the fuji guides and reel seat it a great price. havent changed the website yet. i would give chris a call.

Andrew

17. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Andrew: Have you been able to fish the sea majic rod yet?

18. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i sold it to jason. did you use it on that last trip?

19. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Ty: I got the opportunity to jig with the Barefoot 4'10". FBCJR-400 Conventional: 4'10", 80#-200# braid, 300g-400g lure. with Freddy the other day paired with the mini avet sx 2 speed and although we didn't catch any monsters on it, it did handle 35" with no problems at all. I thought I would be against the short rods also, but they worked great. I was impressed. If you look at the pictures Freddy posted you can see the small barefoot in action. Good luck on your decision. I can say it is nice to see and feel if possible them in action before you buy.

papio and spineyman,

Thank you for the feed back its greatly appreciated. I will keep it on the list of possibilies as the Wilmington NC Ameberjack trip gets closer I will make the purchase the week before :)

I will go check out those photos.
    Thanks again.

Ty

20. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have used a friends 600g dragonfly to drop bait in the shallows at the end of the day. Works well enough doing that job, that I would buy one in a heart beat.