Sea Magic Dragon Fly and Other Spinning Options

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Jason4606, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Ok... I was finally close to making a decision on a new rod, now I'm stuck again.

Ruled out Hopper and Boca Only because there were too many choices on my list, and they both use lower-end guides on their spinning models. I'm almost settled in on 5'6" 400g Dragon Fly due to better components at similar price point. (But also still considering Daiwa Saltiga 5'11" Deep Jigging - little less $, VFOX TBlade J556S - little more $, OTI 5'6" and Jigwrex S508- both about $100 more.)

I talked to Chris last week but can't get an answer to my only remaining question... What's the length of rear grips on 400 and 600g Dragon Fly spinning rods?

My "heavy" rod (term used very "lightly" - and yes the pun is intended) now is a 5'8" H Trevala F with JX 2-sp w/65lb braid. I realized quickly that I need something heavier to drop on bigger GOM bottom dwellers and pelagics in 30-80lb range. Chris suggested the 400g for drag up to 30lbs. I already have a Stradic 8000FI w/ 50 and 65lb braid spooled up that I can use, also considering buying a new 18000 Saragosa w/65 or 80.

I have a trip scheduled a week from Friday out of Orange Beach, so any other advise to help me "get off the pot" would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
    Jason

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Hi Jason,

VFOX TBlade J556S and Shimano Jigwrex S508 are from overseas store.
    No way they can shipped the rod before your scheduled fishing trip.
    And remember those rod "No Warranty".

To pull 30-80lb range at GOM go with OTI rod, great rod for the price and warranty.
    Oh..and one more...great costumer service !!!!!!;)

(Don't get bother with issue of OTI rod breaking is under warranty anyway)

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

love the action of the sea magic 400. however i wish i had the 600. the trevala will be a good med duty and the 600 will be a great heavy duty. the oti 600 is a bad ass rod
    to.

5. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Freddie - I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

Andrew - Would you mind giving rough dimensions of the grips on your 400g Dragon Fly? Don't need it down to the mm, just want a rough idea of how it will fit me.

Thanks guys!!
    Jason

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

mine broke and chris is sending me a new one. however i just picked up a new oti 600g spinner new for 209.00. couldn't pass it up.
    its rear grip is 15" and the for grip is 7 3/4"

7. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

oh ya the cabo 80 that went swimming was replaced by a saragosa 18000 with 80lb powerpro. i think the 8000 series shimano would be perfect with the 400gr. seamagic