Sea Bass trip of out Cape May: Highlighting our line of rods: Palmarius

Discussion in 'Sponsor Market Place' started by Boston Tangler, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Little video I put together recapping our recent Sea Bass Trip out of Cape May on the 36 Invincible. Blessed with a very flat nice day, unfortunately for the filming a bit overcast. Palmarius-01.png SFC Jigs.png Palmarius SPJ Series I 00004.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00003.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00005.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00006.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00007.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00015.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00016.jpg Palmarius SPJ Series I 00011.jpg

Video highlights my new line of rods called Palmarius. The rods we are fishing in the video are the Slow Pitch Jigging Series I, which is a one piece 6' 6" rod, with Fuji hardware including larger KTAG and KWAG Fuji guides and Ti Torzite Tiptops. The jigs are mainly Sea Floor Control Reactors and the bottom jigs called Ammonite (150g). If you notice the color bands on the rod shaft, that is a new color coding system Shimano introduced to allow the angler to easily match lines, jigs to the rod.

Here we are fishing the #3 and #4 power so a medium heavy weight. Thanks for tuning in, hope to improve on the quality of the videos as my editing and filming improves [​IMG]:)

Thanks for bearing with it [​IMG] I know video is a bit long

Gonefishings and Reelhappy1 like this.
  2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Not purposely trying to be critical, just a bit of hopefully concructive criticism.
    When I watch a vid like this I don’t care who you’re fishing with, about the ride out, how many fish you ended up with or much of anything else really.
    Except THE RODS.

I want to see Bend pics of the rods.
    As accurate and as many angles as you you can possibly get of the rods in action. The rest of the fluff is in the way of trying to get an idea of what you’re marketing here.

For your next vid, go out and tangle with something that will test the mettle of these things. Show us what they are and what they can really do.
    I am honestly interest to see what you have, as I’m sure are others.
    I don’t feel like this vid really showed us that.
    Peace ✌️

bnz likes this.

3. seapicker

seapicker Active Member

Doesn’t adding bait to jig negate the designed action of jig?

4. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Hey Dan in the video you say the SPJ rod models go up to power 6 but only see up to power 4 in the photos. Are the power 6 rods coming in the beginning of November with the others? If so what are the recommended jig weighs? Also, are you stocking all the SFC items or are you ordering them when they’re purchased from your site?

Benny

5. JiggaPleez

JiggaPleez Active Member

Dan nice video, thanks for sharing.

Please elaborate on this statement from rod description and you also mentioned in video.

What it means, how would it be useful to me etc.

"Series observes Shimano's color coding system for easy pairing rod line leader jig takes the guess work out"

I'm not familiar with this system or it's history.

How come power 1 & 4 appear to be same color band in your photo?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  6. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

What you saw is not bait.

That was a free range non gmo natural teaser.

When a jig is not working
    as well as expected,
    the addition of the teaser will enhance
    its appeal to the quarry.

:)

7. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Cool,
    it's like Garanimals for fishermen :)

garin.jpg

Boston Tangler likes this.
  8. Boston Tangler

I believe we only fished the heavier rods, not the #1 this trip.

This is an idea I got in Japan at the SFPC show, not sure if Daiwa and the other majors will pick it up or not but I thought it was a good idea. It helps in the morning at 4AM when your grabbing rods too :)
    Shimano Slow Pitch Color Designations - 1.jpg

9. JiggaPleez

JiggaPleez Active Member

So these Shimano rods pictured here, are they currently available on US market?
    How about the associated color matching jigs or line, available on US market?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  10. Boston Tangler

No I don't think so. The Shimano JP catalog is like a phone book, much of it never makes it here

11. JiggaPleez

JiggaPleez Active Member

I'm a relative newcomer to this site, have been viewing posts here for a while longer because it would not let me join. (confirmation email links would never work)

Been fishing to include "deep jigging" for decades.
    Never got onboard with the butterfly or speed jigging because the ratio of jacks to desirable bottom fish was too high for my liking. Just my personal preference not knocking it by any means.

Have really been intrigued with SPJ though and reading everything I can about it for over a year now. Attended seminars in person and watched on web etc.

Said all that to say this. All I've heard is the Shimano rods don't have a true SPJ action and don't fish this game properly. If that is what all the "Gurus" in this game say, why would you tie your new product line to something Shimano related, if you wish to be "the go to for all things SPJ related"?

Really scratchin' my head on this one?:)

12. Boston Tangler

I just liked the idea of their system making it easier for people to select rod/line/jig. As my eye sight gets worse :) if I have 6 rods that are basically identical all black with relatively small PE ratings Jig ratings, I thought the bands of color will make it easier to grab the right rod and I didn't want to paint the blanks in this series. There are so many SPJ jigging rods out there, Shimano certainly has series that are worth a look. Chaos reported receiving and selling 48 Shimano Grappler rods last month. He also stocks BH, TR, Daiwa etc so they must not be that bad 48 rods in a month retail is alot of rods for a particular series. IMO many of these rods don't have a true slow pitch action these days everyone has a thin narrow split grip rod with a sticker that says slow pitch on it. You really need to handle the rods and match one to your style of fishing.

That is why I am stocking so many different brands, each one has a different feel and action to it. The Sea Floor Control rods are what I consider softer and more for the very experienced fisherman, a newer guy might be frustrated at how soft the rod is while an expert will tend to have the better feel and can do more with that type of rod. The Yamaga are faster but still very much a true SPJ. The TR where also on the slower side and longer which makes them better suited to NE and SE style big boat fishing where you are high off the water. In Japan the boat decks are closer to the water, the people are smaller and the rods tend to be shorter 6"2" to 6"4"

My second and third series of rods, have not decided on names or blank color yet, but this will be a high end, painted blank 2 piece 7' 2" very similar bend to the Levitate but a bit faster with a bit more power as we opted for 30T Toray vs 24T which by nature is stiffer. Also has larger guides KTAG and KWAG, Torzite tip top. The third series uses the same mandrel but with a softer bend, a hybrid 24T/30T with Alconite guides priced more toward the Gravitate series.

I have these rods in hand as blanks, it took 6 months and 2 weeks camped at the rod factory in to get the prototypes to this point. Going to Mike Garone's on Monday he will build out the blanks into fishable rods for testing this Fall and Winter. Once I'm happy with them we will go into production. I would really like everyone's feed back on blank color paint and I will be running a contest to help me select the colors. I will post the color chips in a separate post, everyone please pick 2 colors. The Winners, ie I use the color you picked, will get a free Slow Pitch Rod when they are complete or a Series I in December if they so choose.

13. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

DANG!
    the Green, Orange, Red, Teal color power ranger rods
    are going to totally clash with my gold or silver reels.

I look down and see my reel,
    then look at that clashing color band,
    omg, wanna vomit on my gucci boots.

Queer Eye for the straight guy asks
    Love it or hate it?

Hate it

14. Boston Tangler

I could do away with the color band or make is smaller (than 2.5 CM).

I don't think its enough color to really both the reel color - but I'm open to killing it off
    Rhode Island Bad Influence - 8.jpg Rhode Island Bad Influence - 5.jpg

15. JiggaPleez

JiggaPleez Active Member

The color band seems like a sensible feature, but of course makes one wonder, who else is going to be using this color band to denote rod power besides you and Shimano? Is your color code the same as theirs?

Is this trademarked, are you using it through an agreement with them? Is it more just something like metered line and you think everybody is gonna jump on and offer?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  16. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

I honestly think everyone is putting way too much thought into the color bands.

It’s a seemingly common feature on slow pitch rods in japan. from what I can see, not necessarily a coded system but different colors on different weight rods.

Personally, If I ended up four or five of these rods all on a rack with valiant 500Ns and the same white braid on all of them, id appreciate something distinct to tell them apart when I go to grab a rod to load onto a boat, or bring to the rail. If i’m on YC and my rods are topside, i’d love to just be able to call out “Red Wrap” to whom ever is up top and willing to hand me down a rod.

I hope these do well, and I honestly think the color bands are a cool feature.

Snaphappy and Boston Tangler like this.
  17. Boston Tangler

Hey Benny

Sorry let me clarify. Yes in the photos you see only up to #4, the heavier rods are on loan to the Reel Seat in the hope more guys can see them there and that Dave/Eric will get some chances to perhaps fish them this Sea Bass season.

So there are 6 rods in the Series I.

Power 0 50-150
    Power 1 100-300
    Power 2 150-400
    Power 3 200-500
    Power 4 250-550
    Power 5 300-600

All the SFC items I have listed online we own and are in stock, for non stock item ordering we are doing it via the excel sheets / turned into PDF files. The selection is slowing growing and I'm releasing a new order to them this week containing the custom jigs you had asked for

a1flyfishr likes this.
  18. Boston Tangler

Thank you!! Appreciate the feedback! I am considering making the bands 1CM vs 2.5CM so they do not clash with reel colors

19. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

1BA533EE-25FE-44D2-A732-B9BF7FCD3551.jpeg
    Thanks Dan! I’m still confused you say there are 5 rod powers in the series and power 5 being in the 300g to 600g jig range. In the pic from your previous post I see a 6 power (green band) suggesting jig weights only 230g to 500g?

1BA533EE-25FE-44D2-A732-B9BF7FCD3551.jpeg

20. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

I have a question.

Green power band rod,
    I now match that up with my
    reel that will have a green band as well?

Next question,
    will the jigs have color bands on them
    so I can match them to my rods?
    If so, will a 300 gram jig have 5 color bands
    on it, because it can be used with Power 1-5 rods?

a1flyfishr likes this.