360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dropped my 50w when taking it off the reel and dropped it on the ground :mad:

has a decent chip on the body and a few scratched here and there, my question is will this corrode? will i need to put some paint over it or is it solid alloy body and it wont rust at all?

Thanks guys

·
5,457 Posts
Yes it can corrode. It needs some type of protection like Hatidua reccomends.

d-a

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, do i need to prep it or is it as simple as going over all the marks with clean nail polish?

does it have to be the sally hansen stuff? im not from the states so it might be an issue sourcing the stuff.

Thanks

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put some PG on it instead of nail polish. its super tough and wont lift or come off

thanks guys, is pg polygun i.e hot melt glue?

Will any hotmelt glue gun do?

Thanks

·
3,718 Posts
Perma Gloss, its a super hard UV stable blank finish that is very durable

Great Idea. I knew there had to be other uses for this stuff. I love this product. I put it on almost all my rebuilds after sanding. I'd bet there are countless other jobs this stuff would be good for.

·
50 Posts
if you put a finish on the alloy and ANY water gets behind it you will have a bigger problem, from my experiance a high grade marine grease applied to the scratches and wiped clean will keep the metal from getting any worse. Then as you use it and wash the reel apply a little more grease. Be careful with covering the scratches.

Rick

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i was hoping to do something more permnent so i wouldnt need to worry about getting greese on my hands or constanly reapplying greese.

im either going to use araldyte or some other 2 part epoxy, permagloss, or clean nail polish, but yes bloodworm thats a good point, whats the best way of ensuring there is no more mopisture or salt on the chip? i was thinking of giving it a good rise, then maybe wipe over it with methelated spirit, then apply the nail polish, pg or epoxy.

is there any way i can prep the chips to make sure there is no moisture or early corrosion on it?

thanks

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Then just bring the bloody thing over will ya, I have PG here

Hope it was only the reel and not the whole outfit!

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha I'll give you a buzz during the week cheers buddy.

Nah, not the whole outfit, dropped the reel on the stones when I was taking it off the rod. Rod is going good, hooked up bigtime to a ray, tested it on sunset, I'm loving it. Loving the popper rod too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts