360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if folks here use scent to rub on their jigs before dropping it. I know that Gulp Alive products are phenomenal and I've also used Pro-Cure to rub on plastic swimbaits too and it works. On one of the trips I went on, I saw one guy on the boat rub some scent on his jig and was hooking up pretty good. I'm just wondering what kind of scents folks rub on their jigs. Thanks.

·
Spinal Rods
777 Posts
To be honest I never tried it.
I could see the advantage scenting jigs if you are fluking and there is maybe some soft plastic or flashing on the end and its a slow bottom bouncing technique. Hell is may even leave some sort of scent trail to get the fish going. I know my buddy use that pink and white stinky sheeting by gulp and cuts strips of it for the back of bucktails to fluke jig. He says it a great method.
If you are talking about speed jigging and going for species like AJ, Yellowtail, Tunas, Etc. I feel that they are 90%+ reactionary bites and a scent will not make or break a bite.

·
434 Posts
To be honest I never tried it.
If you are talking about speed jigging and going for species like AJ, Yellowtail, Tunas, Etc. I feel that they are 90%+ reactionary bites and a scent will not make or break a bite.

I agrree 99.999999% with you on this one Trav.

I dont think it matter unless like you said, you're going flukin, in which case the 4'' twisty tailed gulp mullet are deadly.

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, especially when jigging deep where there is absolute absence of light, and on a slow drift/current conditions. I'm thinking the accumulation of scent in the water would add to the hookup rate by attracting fish to the vicinity of the jig since the jig is less visible. I've only so far used scent when Lucanus or Bala jigging. I tip the assist hooks with cut up Gulp jerk shad and it has been phenomenal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts