Scat Cat Question

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by luckydogiv, Jul 29, 2009.

1. luckydogiv

luckydogiv Junior member

Hey Guys,

Over the years I have only been on the Big E tuna trips and I considering the Scat Cat. A few questions for those of you who have been on the Scat Cat.

I have read most of the Scat Cat posts, and it has clearly received very favorable reviews. From a price point, it sounds like a good value.

1. Cruising speed 11-12 kts?

2. I enjoy the bottom fishing on the Big E during the day. Is there any bottom fishing on the Scat Cat? From my readings it appears the Scat Cat is trolling during the day.

3. It is my understanding the Captain Ronnie Hale is a good sword fisherman. Anyone see him sword fishing on your trips? I would enjoy learning his technique for bringing in a sword.

4 It appears the fish are off loaded into the sun after the trip for a photo op. Is this mandatory or can one take off with one's fish.

Thanks,

Mike

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

In bold

Hey Guys,

Over the years I have only been on the Big E tuna trips and I considering the Scat Cat. A few questions for those of you who have been on the Scat Cat.

I have read most of the Scat Cat posts, and it has clearly received very favorable reviews. From a price point, it sounds like a good value.

1. Cruising speed 11-12 kts?
    Most of the trips I have been on we cruised 13-14knots on the way out and 14-15 on the way in.

2. I enjoy the bottom fishing on the Big E during the day. Is there any bottom fishing on the Scat Cat? From my readings it appears the Scat Cat is trolling during the day.
    They have made bottom fishing drops on everyother trip I have been on except the last. The current was ripping so it would have been hard to get anything to the bottom...Captain Hale said that the days previous, they were having trouble getting 2 lbs anywhere near the bottom. 3knot current.

3. It is my understanding the Captain Ronnie Hale is a good sword fisherman. Anyone see him sword fishing on your trips? I would enjoy learning his technique for bringing in a sword.
    Swordfishing would be very hard to mix with tuna fishing. I talked to him about it as I really want to get a sword to the boat. Sounds like you pretty much need to just be after swords if you are going to do it on a head boat full of people

4 It appears the fish are off loaded into the sun after the trip for a photo op. Is this mandatory or can one take off with one's fish.
    You would have to ask Fishermens Wharf about this. They of course want to get a picture of all the fish together. They werent out there long enough to make me worry. My fish were still ice cold when I went to grab them

Thanks,

Mike

3. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

Most of the boats love to get those kind of picture ops. But do not post them on their websites in a timely fashion,They let us do that for them on sites such as this one. I myself would just as soon get the fish sorted out and back on ice. When its 85* plus it doesn't take very long to bring up the temp on the flesh of the fish. If someone wants to hang their fish for a photo,fine ,let them have at it,but let me get mine to the cleaning table.

4. luckydogiv

luckydogiv Junior member

5. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

why cant you sword fish at night with other people tuna fishing?

6. txcards

txcards Senior Member

luckydog sent you a pm!

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks Special K
    No prob I hope you get to roll with them and have a good trip.

8. wellcraft26

wellcraft26 Senior Member

I went on thier 1st big 56hr trip and have eagerly read all their trips since. This boat has everything needed and every person committed to catching fish. They will do anything for anybody to have a good trip. If you read thru all the reports you will see that.For various reasons I myself have not been on a trip lately but boy do I want too.
    Joe

9. luckydogiv

luckydogiv Junior member

I spoke at length one day with Capt Russel. Could not have been more accomadating and gratious. And the reports all back this up. They are new and eager to please.

Being only fished the Big E for tuna, I wanted to align my expectations for the Scat Cat. The Big E is quite comfortable and accomadating for someone like myself who lives in Houston.

But I am always up for a new adventure. It was my understanding the Captain Hale will set up a swordfish rig and let it go for the night. That alone would the education for me.

10. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I went on thier 1st big 56hr trip and have eagerly read all their trips since. This boat has everything needed and every person committed to catching fish. They will do anything for anybody to have a good trip. If you read thru all the reports you will see that.For various reasons I myself have not been on a trip lately but boy do I want too.
    Joe
    Joe, you need to get Chris outta feeling like an old man and back on the water... He finally go that casting setup from me. Hopefully he gets to use it sometime this decade...
    You and Brian pony up and come on!

11. robul

robul Junior member

How long are those bunks? Im 6'6" tall I dont think id fit in that thing..

12. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

How long are those bunks? Im 6'6" tall I dont think id fit in that thing..

There's 2 bench seats in the back of the boat that I believe is 9' X 2.5'. If you get there early you can claim that to sleep on. I had enough room to sleep on and store tackle and I'm 5'11". You should be fine.

13. duc996

duc996 Member

There's 2 bench seats in the back of the boat that I believe is 9' X 2.5'. If you get there early you can claim that to sleep on. I had enough room to sleep on and store tackle and I'm 5'11". You should be fine.

Baosabi, its funny how you really needed the entire bench to fit all your gear and my wife thinks I have problems.:D

14. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Baosabi, its funny how you really needed the entire bench to fit all your gear and my wife thinks I have problems.:D

The only reason I brought that much sh!t was because I was gonna loan out some conventionals for deep drops which never happen. Next time it will be only 3 or 4 rods.