360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
51 Posts
I agree completely...I'm new to tuna fishing, but my first trip last fall had me fishing all night, toes mashed to black and blue inside my boots, hands poked and pruned out from being wet, jeans stiff as a board from bait and tuna funk, back and arms rubbery from casting and battling fish, belly bruised by the cruel uncapped gimbal butt, belly wailing from no food. When daylight began to approach and the bite slowed, I stumbled semi-coherent to my bunk and was down for the count. Slept like a baby.
Got up the next afternoon did the same thing next night....but we added rain just to make it more fun.
Going again in a few weeks and am looking forward to more of the same exhaustion! I know it's a lousy job, but someone has to do it.

FM

·
117 Posts
I know I slept on the way back in, not sure if I did any other time. I can sleep when I get home. I am paying to fish!! Love some Miller Lite while fishing also!!!

·
1,321 Posts
just the microwave. and they had a grill upstairs last time I went.

I like a longer rod on any partyboat, esp the Scat Cat. Every little bit helps keep the line away from the hull.

·
117 Posts
Here is something to get ya fired up. This is the 107 lber I caught on the first Scat Cat long range trip. Caught on a knife jig with a Torium 20 and G Loomis 25-40lb rod. Took 50 min and almost got spooled several times.

Joe

YouTube - Joe

·
6 Posts
yeah but cutting that off and taking those benches out would really open it up.

tell them to put another engine in there and get it to cruise at 24 knots

i agree with cutting the top back, also adding a 7 or 8ft fan tail would really help this boat. by the way breaux "the make of the boat" couldnt fit 4 in the scat cat, he managed it in the new buccanner a party boat in galveston but sold the blue prints with the boat and was never able to make a cat that would fit 4 engines ever again.

·
471 Posts
Just indulging the "strong rumor" for sake of something to talk about while I start saving money for another tuna trip. How many knots does the scatcat run now? 10? So would a 50% increase send the scatcat screaming across the gulf at 15 knots? Or is that not really the way things work? Would that be enough increase in speed to allow the scatcat to leave Beuadroux after sunup on the last day of a 56 hour?

·
790 Posts
i agree with cutting the top back, also adding a 7 or 8ft fan tail would really help this boat. by the way breaux "the make of the boat" couldnt fit 4 in the scat cat, he managed it in the new buccanner a party boat in galveston but sold the blue prints with the boat and was never able to make a cat that would fit 4 engines ever again.

The New Buc and the Scat Cat are almost sisterships. The New Buc is a little longer (85') amd wider (33') than the Scat Cat but otherwise they are very similar. Cabin layout is a little different.Each reflects their owners needs.

It wasn't any problem putting 4 engines in the New Buc as there was plenty of room. When it had 12-71's you could walk between the engines without any problen. There was also a large genset in each hull. Very noisy. I could be wrong but I don't think the New Buc was the last 4 engine catamaran that Breaux Brothers built. They have built a lot of cats since 1974. Their boats are all over the world.

·
1,321 Posts
Just indulging the "strong rumor" for sake of something to talk about while I start saving money for another tuna trip. How many knots does the scatcat run now? 10? So would a 50% increase send the scatcat screaming across the gulf at 15 knots? Or is that not really the way things work? Would that be enough increase in speed to allow the scatcat to leave Beuadroux after sunup on the last day of a 56 hour?

I believe it runs about 12kts. Sounds ridiculous, but getting it up to 16-18kts would be huge increase and benefit. Our run that took 12 hours should be down to 8 or 9 hrs, and yes that extra 3-4 hours is smack dab right in the middle of your sun-up bite!

·
471 Posts
I believe it runs about 12kts. Sounds ridiculous, but getting it up to 16-18kts would be huge increase and benefit. Our run that took 12 hours should be down to 8 or 9 hrs, and yes that extra 3-4 hours is smack dab right in the middle of your sun-up bite!

Thanks. So what you could possibly do is leave 3 or 4 hours later arrive at the floaters at the same time and then leave after the sun rise bite. Probably wouldnt have to leave that late even to still make the sun up bite before heading home and keep the trip at 56 hours.

Would that make it possible to run in to bottom fish?

·
175 Posts
a 50% increase in power would do wonders for this boat, dont get me wrong 12knts is ok and I wouldnt want to go terribly much faster in heavy seas but, when your running in a small sea that extra speed would be great!!

the boat already runs in to bottom fish when they fish the close floaters, its mainly when they go to boudreaux that there is no nearby bottom structure to run in to. Im not sure a faster cruise speed would help this particular problem as Im not familiar enough with this area of the gulf

·
471 Posts
a 50% increase in power would do wonders for this boat, dont get me wrong 12knts is ok and I wouldnt want to go terribly much faster in heavy seas but, when your running in a small sea that extra speed would be great!!

the boat already runs in to bottom fish when they fish the close floaters, its mainly when they go to boudreaux that there is no nearby bottom structure to run in to. Im not sure a faster cruise speed would help this particular problem as Im not familiar enough with this area of the gulf

Boudreaux was the rig I was inquiring about for running back in to bottom fish, I wasnt clear on that in the above post. But the way the NMFS is running things there wont be any reason to run in to bottom fish before long.

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread up and send a HUGE shout out to Jan and crew at Fisherman's Wharf for bailing us SaltyHeads out on such short notice!!

Jan,

Thank you very much for helping us out on this one. We were seriously worried that over 4 months of work and hundreds of man hours put into the making of this trip, were about to go to waste.

I am looking foward to fishing with you guys again, and know that we'll have a fantastic trip!

For the guys going this weekend, that have never been on the boat, here's a good look at the Scat Cat! See everyone tomorrow!!

Thanks again Jan and crew!!

-John
SaltyHeads

·
1,714 Posts
Also, I'd like to note that the Scat Cat can and will cruise at around 20 knots. I've seen her do it in some pretty rough seas. :D

Ditto. 20kts is high end for her but she can do it. She consistently does 17-18kts all the time.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts