360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
221 Posts
Here are the Starboard/ right side bunks as viewed from the rear hatch.. it's the only shot of them I have. They are basic open bunks but they are comfortable. They are 3 high and 3 racks long 18 racks on the right. 25 total both sides combined.

My Navy Daughter said they were bigger than what she slept on while aboard a carrier.

Bazz

·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This looks similar to the Pelican and Dolphin setups. If I get a chance, I'll go out this weekend to see the Scat Cat and post more pictures.

Tom - DBG

·
2,040 Posts
looks like Mr Bill and Gunsmoke would have a ball on that boat.... you see the pole in the middle??? wheres Candy at? :)

·
821 Posts
They called Deep Sea Headquarters for directions when they were installing them because they had to meet Coast Guard minimums.

·
221 Posts
Ronnie

That Pole is to protect the Fuel Shutoff Valve on the floor at the base.. so folks wont trip over it. :D

Kil..

Yes Sir they are the same style bunks.. I fished some East Coast boats out of Morehead City NC.

·
68 Posts
Never been on a tuna trip like this, do they provide the right setup for catching tuna, or is this the same squid and leader rig they use for 12 hour snapper trips?

Also if you were someone who didn't own any large jigging poles are these setup to bring your own knife jigs so you can at least use your own tackle? or do they provide tackle?

·
225 Posts
The boat has bottom and chunk reels you can use, if you want to jig or popper fish you need your own tackle. I found out that you can get by with a good seven foot rod and matching reel with 80lb braid, a few jigs and poppers and some leader line and you be good to go. I got a seven ft FIN-NOOR rod and Cabo 80 reel and it was perfect for casting and jigging although the Cabo reel did need to be sent in for repair after the first trip. Don't get too skimpy a rod because if it breaks your not fishin. If you do get a good fish on the boats rods you may need a harness since their a little slow and you may be there a while. I was going on the Big-E and used their list of things to buy that you need, well I spent about $1000.00 more than I needed on supplies

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
Most of those party boats will have Penn 4/0 spooled with monofilament and matched with fiberglass rod.

I would not want to use those set up for jigging or catching tuna if I have other choice.

those rods will get the job done but it will be hard work. JMO

·
1,579 Posts
Most of those party boats will have Penn 4/0 spooled with monofilament and matched with fiberglass rod.

I would not want to use those set up for jigging or catching tuna if I have other choice.

those rods will get the job done but it will be hard work. JMO

Most boat gear will put more hurting on you than the fish.

·
225 Posts
I didn't say it would be easy, but they will catch a fish. As for me I could have saved lots of money on tackle and would have bought different reels if I would have gone on a trip first and then made a decision on what to buy.

·
SPONSOR
11,870 Posts
I didn't say it would be easy, but they will catch a fish. As for me I could have saved lots of money on tackle and would have bought different reels if I would have gone on a trip first and then made a decision on what to buy.
If you ever buy rods/reels for tuna, it is better buy as early as possible. If you miss one trip, you can buy a decent tuna rod/reel. :)

·
2,040 Posts
Most boat gear will put more hurting on you than the fish.

one one of my first tuna trips, I got a handoff from a deckhand on one of those setups... I wondered why nobody was wanting it.. I quickly knew why.... it hurt me! i was worn out in a few minutes! it was like playing tug of war with a mule!

·
68 Posts
Well I have been looking around bass Pro shops combo and saw these, I wanted something i could use to jig with, have never done that before or at least a better chance to catch more tuna or bigger ones. what do you think about this setup. I don't have much $$$ to go with so I could really use some help here, seems the biggest problem with tuna and setup is how your reel will respond when the fish is activating your drag.

Here are the links for the setups I am looking at
Reel Penn Special Senator Reels

Rod and reel combo #1
Penn Special Senator Reel/Offshore Angler Ocean Master Stand-Up Combos

Rod and reel combo #2
Shimano Torium Baitcast Reel/Offshore Angler Offshore Extreme Freestyle Jigging Trigger Rod Combos

All I want is something that will work well enough to keep using when i do these trips every year or so, and something that will make it a little easier to boat the fish, and go for some of the bigger tuna as well.

I WANT IT ALL LOL!!!!

·
68 Posts
Do you have a $ 300 budget?

Yes I do Max $300.00 for pole and reel i can spend more for tackle, and would like a recommended setup for a trip on this boat that i have scheduled for this Friday.

·
221 Posts
The Combos listed are fine.

Get the Torium 30 and 6XH Jig Rod

On the Standup Senator rig get the 114H reel and 50-80# 5'6" rod

·
68 Posts
awesome sounds like a deal, what do you think I will be using more on a trip like this? Standup rigs or jigging? Not sure which is generally more productive.

·
1,579 Posts
depends what you want to do =)
if you a hardcore jigger you prob wont be chunking or using live bait alot.
I have seen most tuna caught on chunk or bait and poppers.
Blackfin come easily on jigging and grouper are fun on jig.

·
68 Posts
Okay now i know I'm startig to get the bug been reading about reels all day long, and there seems to be a big dispute on the
torium 30 and the diawa saltist 50 I guess

if anyone can clear this up i would appreciate it. Also what pole is the 6XH? post a link to one if you can I'm trying to get all this stuff together for the 23rd trip, all I want is lots of fish and at least a few BIG ones, any help on rigging this setup would also be helpful.. anyone who has fished gulf tuna / mahi

41 - 60 of 138 Posts