Scat Cat- Ocho Tuna

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by lite-liner, Oct 21, 2009.

1. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

First off, I want to thank Willie, Curtis, and the rest of the TFF crew for adjusting to the weather window. it worked perfect w/ still waters while fishing, and following seas in and out!
    Secondly thanks to the great captains Ronnie Hale & Tye Bralley for knowing what we wanted and giving it to us.
    Third, the deckhands, Jackson, Greg, Albert, & Casey worked their ASSES off to give us what we wanted. I dont think I've ever seen so many head-shots!
    exta Kudo's go to Darryl & the others that filled in to help out. y'all really made it a great trip!
    .......SO.........
    night 1 started out pretty good, w/ some yellows on the deck by 10 pm. Jerry's friend Mike & Allen were the hot sticks that night, w/ like 12 yellows between them. obviously lots of blackies, and most of the YF's were 50-80#
    next day trolled all damn day for a 25# YF for me & a 30# Wahoo for Mike.
    The last night was on!!!! no moon, flat seas, and the boys at boudreaux were gracious enough to let us stay w/ in 100y all night long! thanks guys!
    started @ perdito and it was dead until midnite, made the move over to boudreaux and the YF's were ON!
    Shibuki's up front and poppers out back were the rule and really putting some quality fish in the boxes.
    After woking my [censored] off speed jigging, I went to poppers and promptly broke 2 tuna-hunters in half on fish, neither staying buttoned up. next thing I know, Allen hands off to me and I kill a 70# yellow in 2 mins flat on a tuna-hunter.
    later a lot of newbs got their fish, and we all woke to a great sunrise and excellent breakfast prepared by the crew.
    This was a top-Notch trip w/ equal crew experience & I will be going on this boat again soon.
    only downer for me was that awning over the deck. that's gonna have to go away if this is gonna be a real long-range contender.
    here's some pics:

sunrise at 180nm. AWESOME!!!!
    [​IMG]

my good one:
    [​IMG]

The Escolar:
    [​IMG]

Brian Hefty:
    [​IMG]

Brian Shipman:
    [​IMG]

Margarita Mojo (aka shibuki-san) in action:

[​IMG]

tuna love these damn things!!!
    [​IMG]

the haul:
    [​IMG]

and then the work began.......
    the work:
    [​IMG]

The loins:
    [​IMG]

ready for steaks:
    http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww164/BrianNesbit/DSCF8169.jpg

GOD, I love sashimi!!!!!!
    http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww164/BrianNesbit/DSCF8170.jpg

this trip was awesome and I can't wait till next year. thanks to everyone whose hard work made this trip one to remember!
    tight lines, tunaheads
    -Brian

2. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

wow, great job! Looks like it was a great trip!

3. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Does anyone know of anyone that sells the Shibukis around austin,san antonio, or around port a. I do not have any of these lures? Thanks Steve

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

They are hard to find domestic online too. I am convinced I need to get some before the Nov. 13 Big-E 60hr. At around $45.00 a piece, I would hurt to lose one!!

5. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

I caught plenty of popper fish on this trip and I dont own a shibuki :)

I know they catch tuna but, IMHO for GOM tuna there are almost always other (cheaper) equally effective means... yep Im a cheap bastard, but I firmly believe in more trips and less gear. yes I break my own rule but still I have set a limit and for now shibuki is it. On the next trip If I cant buy a bite, and people are yanking them in on a shibuki left and right Ill probably have a dozen but, untill that day Ill stick with the rest of my overflowing tackle box

Ill be headed out again Friday if TOO still has a spot open in the AM. So, who knows maybe this trip will be when I see the supreme power of the shibuki (for those that dont know me, theres supposed to be some tongue in cheek humor in this post)

Oh yeah, Brian, Glad you got that good yft, so, when is your Stella going to arrive? (you know thats how I ended up with mine)

6. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I caught plenty of popper fish on this trip and I dont own a shibuki :)

I know they catch tuna but, IMHO for GOM tuna there are almost always other (cheaper) equally effective means... yep Im a cheap bastard, but I firmly believe in more trips and less gear. yes I break my own rule but still I have set a limit and for now shibuki is it. On the next trip If I cant buy a bite, and people are yanking them in on a shibuki left and right Ill probably have a dozen but, untill that day Ill stick with the rest of my overflowing tackle box

Ill be headed out again Friday if TOO still has a spot open in the AM. So, who knows maybe this trip will be when I see the supreme power of the shibuki (for those that dont know me, theres supposed to be some tongue in cheek humor in this post)

Oh yeah, Brian, Glad you got that good yft, so, when is your Stella going to arrive? (you know thats how I ended up with mine)

I was on a trip while rtran was hooking tuna left and right and I couldn't buy a bite. So I went and bought my dozen:)

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Quote-"Oh yeah, Brian, Glad you got that good yft, so, when is your Stella going to arrive? (you know thats how I ended up with mine)"

Allen I'd love to own one, but I'm a cheap bastard,too. I honestly think the Cabo would have worked fine if I could have stayed hooked up. I never had a problem with the anti-reverse.
    Thanks again for the hand-off. I was so worried that I may have bent the bail-arm, I wasn't ready for that much initial drag. But that much drag is what led to this fish being gaffed in under 2 min's.
    Fastest I've ever been able to bring one up. amazing reel.

8. Galveston 1602,

Which poppers worked best on this trip? I am in need of restocking poppers.

Phantom Fisherman

9. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Mitch was using the smaller black tuna hunter and slaying them. It got to a point where it caught so many fish, it wasnt working right.

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

great report Brian.. Glad yall got into some decent yfts..

11. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

I had great luck with tuna hunters in the natural color, untill Brian had to go and destroy the thru wire on his fish! of course, as many yft and bft as it had caught I guess I cant complain :)

12. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

thats good fishing brian.
    weather window adjustments.. what an idea !!
    wish i can trust an oufit enuf to book a trip. after the last 18 footer trip that was deemed fishable .. i'm staying with private invites only

13. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

I have taken tuna hunters back to Chris at his shop, and he exchanged them out, just so he could show how well they work ...

Kind of did'nt want to give them up ....LOL

Looks like it will be a Tuna hunter weekend for me

14. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Had these posted on TFF but thought I would put them here also.
    [​IMG]

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

You guys did well. Looks like a great time with plenty of nice grade GOM yft.

16. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

The Scat Jacuzzi. :eek:

[​IMG]

17. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

what was the deal with the 130? was there a story behind it?

18. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Trolling bounty. Only other fish pulled up trolling were a couple cudas.
    [​IMG]