Scat Cat Dec 5th-7th Boomvang nancen

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by SpecialK, Dec 8, 2008.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

We left Fishermans Wharf around 8 am on Friday. We made a stop at North baker(I think) on the way to Boomvang/Nancen area. We picked up a few blue runners and a rainbow to keep as live bait.
    Boomvang was our next stop. It was apparent very quickly that the tuna were not there in the numbers I have seen in my past trips.
    We hung around Boomvang long enough to decide that Nancen might be better.
    When we pulled up to Nancen there was a school of dorado, big dorado and probably 40 in the school.
    I manage to get 2 of them on a popper in short order. The bull I pulled in went about 35# and the cow about 30. I am not sure how common it is to see that many big dorado in a school but I sure have not seen it before.
    At this point only a handfull of YFT had hit the deck but they were all quality fish.
    I was pretty much jiggin and popping alomst the entire time. I tried chunking but after a couple of chunks I got bored and went back to artificial.
    At about 7 am after a long night, tuna were jumping about 200 yards from the boat other side from the rig.
    I started throwing a popper and cast number 4 hooked me up with a good tuna. His mouth was stitched together so my saragosa/OTI combo got him to the boat in around 10-15 min. He went 81 at the dock. I kept throwing the popper along with about half of the boat without another result.
    After cleaning up a bit I headed in for a nap.
    I woke up as we were in sight of the cerveza rigs. We fished east cerveza for about 25-30 min with not much to show but a couple of break offs. Captain wanted to head over and check out west cerveza. We got tied off and I went straight to jigging. I drop a yellow jig all the way to the bottom and immediatly got a hit. I reeled this fish in wondering was little fish had hit my jig is 800ft of water. Got it in and the captian starts getting really excited as he thinks it is a yellowtail snapper. It wasn't. Actually nobody on the boat knew exactly what it was. Bazztex dubbed it the "Golden Sea Crappie" for the time being, and it seemed fit.
    After jiggin up two more of these weird snapper I finnally got what I wanted. I pulled out a 14lb scamp(we think) grouper.I had never caught a grouper on a jig before so I was excited.
    At that point it was time to head back to get some more tuna.
    Back at nancen there was a sport fisher hooked up when we arrived.
    We got a drift set and my dad hooked up to a tuna that went a little over 100#. He was sure he had won the big fish pot.
    A few more tuna were caught on chunks but I was determined to catch another on a popper.
    I threw my popper blind casting for about 3 hrs with no result. I couldn't take any more so I got some grub and hit the sac hoping for a topwater bite later on.
    I slept longer than I should have.:rolleyes: I got up and tuna were jumping but it seemed everyone was still chunking and jigging. I went straight to popping again. After an hour I started catching a bunch of blackfin on a popper. I knew it was about to get good. Another 20 casts proved me right. I thought I had hooked another blackfin as the first run was 20 yards before it seemd the drag stopped him. I got about 15 yards back before the fish went on at least a 200 yards run tearing line out!:eek: He put up a fight all the way to the boat. I had this fish next to the boat in about 20 min. but he was not ready to come in the boat. He never made another run but his circle was about 30 ft wide with the high side being out from the boat. Everytime he would swing towards the boat he would take back 10 ft of line. This went on for 30 min and I was getting tired and irritated. I had preset the drag at 18lbs and at this point had bumped it up 3 full turns on the saragosa. Finally with the rod already doubled I put one last crank and brought him to the boat. I was tired beat and ready for a man soda!:D
    A few more tuna were hooked on poppers and brought in.
    We headed back shortly after. I took a quick nap and went back to the cooler for food and beer.
    Final count was 19 YFT brought in (we ate a few on the boat) Only one YFT was under 50# most in the 80-90 range.
    Tons of BFT
    5 0r 6 grouper of different varieties.
    4 Snapper(silk snapper is what FW said when we got back but looking at the pictures thats not right)
    All in all this was the most comfortable head boat trip I have been on.
    we had 14 people fishing plus the occasional deckhand trying to get hooked up.
    The Captains Donnie and "Porkchop" were awesome! They hardly slept as they were so excited about the trip.
    The rest of the crew worked there a$$es off to make sure everything went well.
    The Scat Cat rides very well in choppy seas. It also has enough room for everyone to sleep or everyone to sit around all at the same time inside the cabin. The bunks were toward the stern and the table and benches toward the bow.
    Definately my favorite head boat in Port A after that trip.

Sorry if I rambled.. Trying to get you guys a report fast
    I should have pictures tomorrow. My camera is in my dads truck so I'll hav eto get it.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

sounds like it was a good trip. we could see you guys coming in yesterday on our way back from boomvang

3. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

SpecialK,

Good report, but pics! we need pics.

Was this your mistery fish?

Attached Files:

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I bet that was the mystery fish. Rabbling? No way. Thanks for the detail in regards to everything. I am glad to know the trip went well and how the boat served as a platform as a fishing machine as well as being comfortable. I would like to do a tuna/deep drop combo on the SC. Maybe some tilefish, grouper, etc.

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Great Report, glad to hear that the trip was a success.. now bring on some pics..

6. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Good report SpecialK... If any of the folks on that trip took some photos of the way they set up the bunks and dinettes, I sure would appreciate seeing them posted.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Yes, pictures are great.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

No rambling in that report!!
    what poppers did you like?

K2

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

10. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Tell Bazz it's a sea bass not a Sea Crappie, some people..........

;) Awesome report SpecialK, well done.

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Bazz posted a few fish board photos on TFF.

12. KATILLAC

KATILLAC Junior member

thats a long tale sea bass caught a few at tequilla

13. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Sounds like a sucessful trip on the Scat Cat! I'm interested in some more details, feel free to ramble as much as you like.

Especially interested in how many people were able to throw poppers at the same time on the bow, and if any were tossed from the stern. How did the S/C drift? And how did she sit while drifting?

Anybody take ice chests to the top deck, or just rods and reels. Did anyone sleep on the top deck?

Tom

14. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

SpecialK,

Good report, but pics! we need pics.

Was this your mistery fish?
    Yes, what the heck is it?

15. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

DBG/ Tom

The Deck Hands lifted the Ice Chests up to the top deck and all the milk crates.. they actually came out to our trucks and took all the gear on board. They issue boarding passes and process everyone in order of arrival... it was cool too have help loading and it all went fast/ very smoothly.

6-7 can cast off the front deck depending on skill levels of course and you can cast off the corners of the rear deck.. just watch out for the upper deck over hang.

Here are a few Pix I shot at the docks.. My Daughter has some shots of her First YFT that will get posted as soon as I get her camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rtran likes this.
  16. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

17. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Tell Bazz it's a sea bass not a Sea Crappie, some people..........
    ;) Awesome report SpecialK, well done.

Sea Crappie

I still say with that Up Turned Mouth... It's a Golden Sea Crappie and I know I'm Right! :cool:

Bazz :D

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

thats a long tale sea bass caught a few at tequilla
    Are you sure?
    How do they fair on the table?

I was very confused after trying to find pictures and names of the unknown.

19. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

What was cool for me is ths was my Daughters first long range Yellow Fin trip.. She beat her Daddy real bad... She got a 50 and a 70# YFT on a Jig her first time out and she whooped both of them on a Penn 113BHN Baja and Bar Bar Custom 60# Jig rod in about 5 minutes.. I guess I'm a good coach :D

I got Bit off 6 times on Jigs ... 3 of those felt like nice YFT.. Makos were about and of course several BFT were bitten in half by Cudas. I was cursed this trip but I still had fun. I did catch the fist YFT. I belly hooked a 20# YFT 400ft down on a jig and had to drag that sucker up.. felt like pulling up a car hood~! I also had a Smoker Hoo run off with a Yozuri Magnum..all I got back was my JB braid.. basicly I was stuck being the Black Fin King .. even the Scat Cat Crew dub'ed me Capt Black Fin.... :)

Bazz

I did notice the Chart Glow jig worked well for YFT when the moon was out and the Pink/ Sliver worked well when the Moon had set... Food for thought.

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

congratulations on yft on jig