Scat Cat Dec 18 56 Hr. Tuna Trip

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by JKB, Nov 20, 2009.

1. JKB

JKB Site Sponsor

This trip will leave on Friday and return Sunday. We now have rod and reels to rent for those who don't have one. You will still need to provide tackle.

2. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

Can you give some more details on the renter equipment? Such as spinner/convential make and model? Could have used a rental spinner on the last trip.

3. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

I was mis-told last night that the nov-20 trip was rescheduled for today, so scrambled gear together last night, and arrived at the dock at 5:30 to find that it was just a 12 hour trip. Got my name on the list for Dec 18 anyway, and an early start on the work day.
    Y'all on the trip should not expect to the the usual hyperman speed jigging, this trip will be the first test of my new titanium back. You might even have to tie a knot or two yourself... ; - ). Hope to see some familiar faces out there angling for a nice YFT christmas roast.

4. Brokejeep

Brokejeep Senior Member

What the hell...your so hyper your a month ahead.lol

5. tass

tass Member

How many people do they usually take out? Never been on a long range trip with this boat.

6. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

I think 20 people is a full load.

7. tunatexas

tunatexas Senior Member

In the past 18-20 to sail - 24 full boat - Scat Cat is a great ride and crew
    is great. This time of year. Scat Cat is the boat to ride on being a Caterman.
    Wish I could make this trip, daughter graduates from college that day.

8. txwoody

txwoody Junior member

We left port w/ 15 three weeks ago.

9. galveston1602

galveston1602 Senior Member

wheres the report from 3 weeks ago?

:D

10. txwoody

txwoody Junior member

Report- short version.
    Left dock at the crack of 8 AM 11/6
    11 hr. ride to tuna town- Clyde Beaudreux.
    All the blackfin and rainbowrunners you could stand.
    Ended up donating most to chunk and chum.
    Apparently the YFT school had already been attracted to another party boat that beat us out there.
    Few YFT came in
    No bottom fishing due to snapper and AJ closure.
    No live bait on board
    Me and a buddy got a couple nice dorado on the troll Sat.
    Little slower bite on Sat. and started to rain around 8PM.
    Turned out we lost an oil pump on 1 engine.
    Capt. decided to head for the house at midnite.
    Came home in 11'+ seas on 1 engine.
    18 hr. ride.
    Due to cat hull it was not uncomfortable but you knew it was sporty.
    Great capt.s- Ronnie (Hale) and Donnie.
    Albert (Alfred? sorry, bud) and crew worked for their $.
    Bunks were better than some other TX boats. CLEAN restrooms and a shower are +++.
    Even though this trip was not perfect, I would go with them again without a second thought.
    I can't seem to get the pic from the dock attached but I'll try again later.
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c89fa57df3&view=att&th=125030ac7b633948&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw
    Things I would take next time- more glow colored butterfly jigs, milkcrate w/ pvc rodholders, more topwaters, better hook assortment (tackle not provided)

11. galveston1602

Report- short version.
    Left dock at the crack of 8 AM 11/6
    11 hr. ride to tuna town- Clyde Beaudreux.
    All the blackfin and rainbowrunners you could stand.
    Ended up donating most to chunk and chum.
    Apparently the YFT school had already been attracted to another party boat that beat us out there.
    Few YFT came in
    No bottom fishing due to snapper and AJ closure.
    No live bait on board
    Me and a buddy got a couple nice dorado on the troll Sat.
    Little slower bite on Sat. and started to rain around 8PM.
    Turned out we lost an oil pump on 1 engine.
    Capt. decided to head for the house at midnite.
    Came home in 11'+ seas on 1 engine.
    18 hr. ride.
    Due to cat hull it was not uncomfortable but you knew it was sporty.
    Great capt.s- Ronnie (Hale) and Donnie.
    Albert (Alfred? sorry, bud) and crew worked for their $.
    Bunks were better than some other TX boats. CLEAN restrooms and a shower are +++.
    Even though this trip was not perfect, I would go with them again without a second thought.
    I can't seem to get the pic from the dock attached but I'll try again later.
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c89fa57df3&view=att&th=125030ac7b633948&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw
    Things I would take next time- more glow colored butterfly jigs, milkcrate w/ pvc rodholders, more topwaters, better hook assortment (tackle not provided)

Perfect report, thanks for taking the time to make it, sorry the yft werent cooperative. (wish the mod could split this to its own thread :D)

12. galveston1602

any word on when the schedule will be updated on the website? It sure would be nice to know when the trips are planned

13. JKB

JKB Site Sponsor

Looks like this trip is a no go. By the end of the day I'll be posting our trips for 2010. Will be adding 36 hr trips starting in January.