360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
866 Posts
I have been trying to track down these no callbacks, and found that in your case Taylor tried to callback on the afternoon of dec 12 and 22, then gave up. The call probably looked like spam, as her cell, like mine, is in area code 956, still trying to figure out the facebook messages and tunahunter's issue. Kinda hard with one hand and legally being not allowed to drive for another two weeks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been trying to track down these no callbacks, and found that in your case Taylor tried to callback on the afternoon of dec 12 and 22, then gave up. The call probably looked like spam, as her cell, like mine, is in area code 956, still trying to figure out the facebook messages and tunahunter's issue. Kinda hard with one hand and legally being not allowed to drive for another two weeks.
FWIW when I called the office a few weeks ago they answered right away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to the processing of tuna. As far as freezing yellow or black fin. Is it best to steak out then vacuum seal? Or leave it bulk sized for portions and vacuum pack then cut after defrosting?

·
6,097 Posts
pretty much depends on how fast you're gonna eat it.
I smoke the Blackfin in little chunks. it keeps for a long time.
Steak the YFT loins and make chunkmeat for salads casseroles and sammiches out of the rest, then freeze it all.
will stay good for sashimi for about a week, then its cook only.
we eat a lot and go thru it pretty quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree tuna is a problem when freezing. Max of two weeks frozen for sashimi or sushi. My friends love my texts on the way back from the canyon looking for takers on fresh tuna. I read a post saying freezing in larger loin pieces and trimming a 1/4” all sides help, but only for cooking. I’m going to try it this spring. I also canned YFT and highly recommended with overage of tuna. Smoking tuna is also very tasty...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Eat it as fresh as you possibly can: sushi, sashimi, poke bowls...I normally share with friends and family. If new to raw fish make a poke bowl and just put it in a pan for a couple if seconds each side . It helps with the raw feeling

·
191 Posts
Vacuum seal it in larger chunks and cut it when you thaw it. If the outside is a little brown after thawing, just give it a quick trim.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts