360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the post, i'm finally home from the trip then going straight to hunting. Nice to find my work done for me!! Only think i'll add is: great group of fishermen, everyone was helpful to getting everyone some fish, ward working bunch.
capt fred

·
SPONSOR
11,870 Posts
I was there. If I knew they would go, I could join the trip.
It's been long time since I fished on the Scat Cat 56 hours trip.
I missed tuna on poppers there.
I plan to go on the next 56 hours trip on Feb 4 - 6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post, i'm finally home from the trip then going straight to hunting. Nice to find my work done for me!! Only think i'll add is: great group of fishermen, everyone was helpful to getting everyone some fish, ward working bunch.
capt fred
Capt Fred
Thanks for letting me sign up last minute and thanks to Dipson (Dakim) for telling me about you guys after or Galveston trip was canceled. Sorry I pushed to come in early but it was exhausting catching all this fish the first night. One of my poles now was a slight bend after it helped put 9 of those fish on the deck.
Crew was great and set up a great system catching live bait and setting out lines so everyone got their limit. Hope to do it again next year. 30 hour trip would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Capt Fred
Thanks for letting me sign up last minute and thanks to Dipson (Dakim) for telling me about you guys after or Galveston trip was canceled. Sorry I pushed to come in early but it was exhausting catching all this fish the first night. One of my poles now was a slight bend after it helped put 9 of those fish on the deck.
Crew was great and set up a great system catching live bait and setting out lines so everyone got their limit. Hope to do it again next year. 30 hour trip would be awesome.
sure wish we could always count on the first night being big! I planned to have started some 36 hour trips on a short notice signup basis. It only allows for one night fishing, and a bit of evening/morning troll, so you have to have good recent Intel to be able to count on a good catch. Still waiting on management to give me a price that i can try to sell.
When i get the price, you will hear it here on 360 tuna first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 121587
We left Friday morning on this trip, was a light load with 16 people. The seas weren’t bad at all, with everyone sleeping in bunks at the rear, you really didn’t notice it to much for being 5’ seas.

Got to the rig around 4 pm and started trolling around, we picked up 2 nice size tuna before sundown than proceeded to cast, Halco bite was non existent, most fish were caught on live fliers and a small mixture of everything else.

We picked up our biggest fish in the morning troll which came in around 125 Lbs. At this point we had a boat limit of nice yellowfin tuna, only 6 were small under 40 lb tuna, the majority werre 60-80 class with a few 90-100 lbers in them.

We decided to spend the next night bottom fishing since we couldn’t keep anymore yft, we moved inshore to troll a bit, nothing but cudas we’re caught trolling, so we stopped and started bottom fishing.

Caught the biggest beeliners I’ve ever seen, we had a solid 10 hours of good bottom fishing. Beeliners, almaco jacks, scamp grouper, lesser jacks, greater jacks, kingfish, and a hammer head were alll caught.

Was a solid fishing trip, the scat cat handling the 5- 6’ seas with no issues.
Don’t forget my Heru Skipjack 60g Baby Ahi color grabbing the first fish on it’s second cast. Can retire that color after it got 3 yellows on 5 casts.

Ksong, sorry I had to get my Heru Skipjacks from GT Fight Club because you were out of the green and blue but I now love that Baby Ahi color they carry and the Texas Yellowfin do too.

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It was quite a happy surprise to hear ksong calling my name after the trip. last time we fished together was in icy bay AK some years back.

·
642 Posts
It was quite a happy surprise to hear ksong calling my name after the trip. last time we fished together was in icy bay AK some years back.

The first time I tuna fished with Kil was on the Big E in 2006 or 2007. We were loading and Kil sauntered on the boat with a case of Bud on his shoulder.

I asked him ... "Kil, where's you cooler and ice for your beer?"

Kil looked at me incredibly puzzled and said .... "Cooler? ..... Ice?"

·
SPONSOR
11,870 Posts
The first time I tuna fished with Kil was on the Big E in 2006 or 2007. We were loading and Kil sauntered on the boat with a case of Bud on his shoulder.

I asked him ... "Kil, where's you cooler and ice for your beer?"

Kil looked at me incredibly puzzled and said .... "Cooler? ..... Ice?"
I don't drink heated beer though. :)

·
SPONSOR
11,870 Posts
Don’t forget my Heru Skipjack 60g Baby Ahi color grabbing the first fish on it’s second cast. Can retire that color after it got 3 yellows on 5 casts.

Ksong, sorry I had to get my Heru Skipjacks from GT Fight Club because you were out of the green and blue but I now love that Baby Ahi color they carry and the Texas Yellowfin do too.
The first time I got tuna on Heru Skipjack was on the Big E. I gave one Skipjack to a mate. I heard he did very well with it. Anglers who fished Panama used Skipjack silently for years. :)
Now Skipjack is a must for tuna popping in Panama.
I don't see much difference among colors.

·
Super Moderator
6,358 Posts
My only skipjack 120g (?) got destroyed in Panama. Broke it off and retrieved it!
2nd time not so lucky.

·
SPONSOR
11,870 Posts
lirw-liner told me the Scat Cat is coming early with limit catch of yft and you are the Capt.
I saw the Scat Cat coming in while drum fishing at the jetty. So I hurridly walk down from the long jetty and wanted to see you. :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts