360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost a big group reservation to a member being covid positive, so have several openings.
Give me a call if you want to sneak in on a low registration trip.
877-927-8862
capt fred

·
Registered
54 Posts
We fished in 10-12 ft in December 2013 on that boat and did good. She can take it , us not so much . It’s about your comfort level and how much you are willing to take . I think I was a good 10 lbs lighter after that trip :)

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
attached.
That is a port a forecast, you should pick a location at least 50 miles offshore to see what the ride might be like, or use one of the many subscription tools that allow you to view forecasts over a route, since we will be 130 to 150nm out. A 5 ft sea is a nice ride for a near 100 ton boat, depending on swell direction, period and energy, which is as important or more so than height of swell.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very pleased that i don't know a single offshore USCG captain in texas that does not follow the weather for days before each trip, at a minimum, or as a matter of daily coffee and bedtime research even when no trips are in the immediate future
This makes it kinda funny when people send me images of their preferred weather forecast site, but keep them coming, that was how i decided to subscribe to route planning service. To quote boatus: "Professional marine weather routing involves a whole lot more than reaching for that cool app on your smartphone or tablet."
Personally i subscribe to four services, as well as using the freebies so that i can cross reference multiple forecasts to look for anomalies in the various models used.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What time do you expect to get back to the docks on Sunday?
we leave at 6am friday, earlier if everyone gets here by 4:30 as we request. We get back to fishermans wharf at 2pm sunday.
56 hour trip.
I'll be shutting down online registration in a few hours, so to register after that: call me. text me. (877-927-8862) email me. pm me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had been contemplating going and hung around but Tiffany had been feeling bad and got a Covid test last Friday which we still have not gotten the results from so I'm sticking at the house.

I hope this goes. Brian is right about the rough water fishing capabilities of the Scat kitty.
We bounced around in some pretty nasty seas before but never had a worry.

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sky Cloud Food Seafood Fish

We left Friday morning on this trip, was a light load with 16 people. The seas weren’t bad at all, with everyone sleeping in bunks at the rear, you really didn’t notice it to much for being 5’ seas.

Got to the rig around 4 pm and started trolling around, we picked up 2 nice size tuna before sundown than proceeded to cast, Halco bite was non existent, most fish were caught on live fliers and a small mixture of everything else.

We picked up our biggest fish in the morning troll which came in around 125 Lbs. At this point we had a boat limit of nice yellowfin tuna, only 6 were small under 40 lb tuna, the majority werre 60-80 class with a few 90-100 lbers in them.

We decided to spend the next night bottom fishing since we couldn’t keep anymore yft, we moved inshore to troll a bit, nothing but cudas we’re caught trolling, so we stopped and started bottom fishing.

Caught the biggest beeliners I’ve ever seen, we had a solid 10 hours of good bottom fishing. Beeliners, almaco jacks, scamp grouper, lesser jacks, greater jacks, kingfish, and a hammer head were alll caught.

Was a solid fishing trip, the scat cat handling the 5- 6’ seas with no issues.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts