360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
After some management shuffling, i got the call to handle private trip bookings (56 hour floater trips only), and that i will be one of the captains on all of those trips like last year. I will also allow sleep aboards the night before on those trips, as i like to sleep aboard before a 56 hour.
Thus, if you want know more, feel free to start a discussion with me.
I promise to me more responsive than the heavily overworked site staff (except when i am out tuna fishing).
I will be working 40 hour trips that start saturday eve for the next few weeks, so sunday and monday i will be out of contact.
I will give out my phone and email in PM's for those that contact me about starting a trip.
There are still a few good moon weekends available this fall, and all of the 2022 dates are open.
Will be posting when the unbooked weekends are open for individual/small group trip booking, i can handle groups, but individuals will go though the office.

cheers,
captain hyperman.

·
2,020 Posts
Great news! You are a great asset to FW! Thank you and look forward to many more trips with FW!

I'm game for a Hooter trip! Throw me in that hat if it forms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Gang,
After some management shuffling, i got the call to handle private trip bookings (56 hour floater trips only), and that i will be one of the captains on all of those trips like last year. I will also allow sleep aboards the night before on those trips, as i like to sleep aboard before a 56 hour.
Thus, if you want know more, feel free to start a discussion with me.
I promise to me more responsive than the heavily overworked site staff (except when i am out tuna fishing).
I will be working 40 hour trips that start saturday eve for the next few weeks, so sunday and monday i will be out of contact.
I will give out my phone and email in PM's for those that contact me about starting a trip.
There are still a few good moon weekends available this fall, and all of the 2022 dates are open.
Will be posting when the unbooked weekends are open for individual/small group trip booking, i can handle groups, but individuals will go though the office.

cheers,
captain hyperman.

Capt, or anyone,

Please school me on what a schedule on this trip would be? How far/long is the run? Solely going to the floaters or making some extracurricular stops? About how long would we be at the floaters? How do limits work?

I've got a small group here in the RGV with floaters on the brain.

·
620 Posts
Capt, or anyone,Please school me on what a schedule on this trip would be? How far/long is the run? Solely going to the floaters or making some extracurricular stops? About how long would we be at the floaters? How do limits work?I've got a small group here in the RGV with floaters on the brain
Welcome to this board. Since David was just throwing this idea out here looking for input there are many variables. So I'll fill you in on a "typical" floater trip.

Floater trips on the Scat Cat are generally 56 hr trip. Other options are available. If the trip is a weekend trip it will leave the dock around 6 AM Friday and return to the dock at about 2 PM Sunday. Travel time (i.e. fishing time) depend on which floater(s) chosen as a destination. Travel times can vary from 8-12 hours. Ideally the boat would arrive at the floater before dark and set up to troll. Catches include Yellowfin, Wahoo and Mahi. With the obligatory Barracuda thrown in ;). Once it's dark the tuna fishing begins and can be non-stop until daylight. Various methods of fishing are employed during the daylight hours on Saturday until time for the evening troll again. At dark it's the second night of tuna fishing. Again ... depending on the floater, the boat will head home in time to arrive about 2 PM.

Time permitting there might be a stop on the way out or back for some bottom fishing.

There's a lot more to it than this but that's a quick look based on your question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to this board. Since David was just throwing this idea out here looking for input there are many variables. So I'll fill you in on a "typical" floater trip.

Floater trips on the Scat Cat are generally 56 hr trip. Other options are available. If the trip is a weekend trip it will leave the dock around 6 AM Friday and return to the dock at about 2 PM Sunday. Travel time (i.e. fishing time) depend on which floater(s) chosen as a destination. Travel times can vary from 8-12 hours. Ideally the boat would arrive at the floater before dark and set up to troll. Catches include Yellowfin, Wahoo and Mahi. With the obligatory Barracuda thrown in ;). Once it's dark the tuna fishing begins and can be non-stop until daylight. Various methods of fishing are employed during the daylight hours on Saturday until time for the evening troll again. At dark it's the second night of tuna fishing. Again ... depending on the floater, the boat will head home in time to arrive about 2 PM.

Time permitting there might be a stop on the way out or back for some bottom fishing.

There's a lot more to it than this but that's a quick look based on your question.
Awesum, thanks for the awesome info!

8-12 hrs doesn't sounds like the end of the world, I read somewhere that the Scat Cat just repowered with some Cat C18's. That should shave a few hours off, no?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
In January with the new motors and old props it was a 10 hour ride to perdido. We had a few good hours of trolling before dark the first night. That was a great trip, hoping to get on a couple more this fall/winter.

·
620 Posts
Awesum, thanks for the awesome info!

8-12 hrs doesn't sounds like the end of the world, I read somewhere that the Scat Cat just repowered with some Cat C18's. That should shave a few hours off, no?

Yes but before repowering it was only doing 13-14 kts. The trip to Perdido for instance used to be 12-13 hours. Now it's just over 10 hours.

·
214 Posts
I am signed up for a 56 hour on October 15th. It has been very frustrating talking to the office. I understand they are very busy and trying to get it all figured out. As far as I know, I am the only one on that trip so far. The manager, Trey opened the that date up after I called him a few times. I need more people to sign up for October 15. Jump on Board. Give them a call. He told me he was reluctant to want people to use the boat like a hotel on Thursday night but not against people getting there bunks Thursday afternoon and coming back maybe after 10:00 to get some sleep. I think they are trying to figure it out. I am trying to have some faith that they will. I am really looking forward to getting back on that boat again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am signed up for a 56 hour on October 15th. It has been very frustrating talking to the office. I understand they are very busy and trying to get it all figured out. As far as I know, I am the only one on that trip so far. The manager, Trey opened the that date up after I called him a few times. I need more people to sign up for October 15. Jump on Board. Give them a call. He told me he was reluctant to want people to use the boat like a hotel on Thursday night but not against people getting there bunks Thursday afternoon and coming back maybe after 10:00 to get some sleep. I think they are trying to figure it out. I am trying to have some faith that they will. I am really looking forward to getting back on that boat again.
Tagdog, Pm sent senor!

For everyone else's eyes. I'm trying to put together a group of 3-6 for a 56 hr "tour" of the Western Gulf 😂.
None of us have been to the floaters yet, but we spend plenty of time running around the first 50-75 miles of water out of PM/PI collecting the usual suspects from our own boats. No YFT yet, gotta change that!

·
620 Posts
For everyone else's eyes. I'm trying to put together a group of 3-6 for a 56 hr "tour" of the Western Gulf 😂. None of us have been to the floaters yet, but we spend plenty of time running around the first 50-75 miles of water out of PM/PI collecting the usual suspects from our own boats. No YFT yet, gotta change that!
3LG .... Give Fred some time to rest up from the 40 hr he just came back from and then touch base with him via PM and let him know your interest.Two things will happen .... one, there will be open boat trips and two, there might be some charters that have a need for more fishermen.

I'm pretty sure you'll have your chance and I hope you do well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts