Scary Sharp Knife Sharpener

Discussion in 'Custom Knife' started by Timpon, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Timpon

Timpon Junior member

Any one used one of these before? Thoughts and opinions?

Have been practicing my sharpening skills on stones by hand but just recently started accummulated a few Japanese knives and can't bring myself to sharpen these by hand as they look like works of arts, any foreseeable problems with sharpening single bevel knives like a deba or yanagiba with this system?

http://www.scarysharp.co.nz/index.php

http://www.scarysharp.co.nz/video.php

Furysi likes this.
  2. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

The only serious issue I can see with that system is that it does not seem to provide an adjustable angle.

Furysi likes this.

3. Timpon

Timpon Junior member

I think you can adjust the angle of sharpening by adjusting the height of the frame that holds the knife? Lift it higher to sharpen at a more shallower angle and vice versa. Think he mentions it in this demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5yms2nk9M

elpescador likes this.
  4. Timpon

Timpon Junior member

By the way Denis, physics is not my strong point, so, will that knife sharpener be able to keep a constant angle over the entire blade if there is a big curve in it, such as those found in a scimitar filleting knife?

5. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

OK
    I didn't pick up on the adjustable nature of the clamp frame..................still don't understand how incremental the adjustment is.
    Its desirable to be able to adjust the sharpening angle to match the edge on the blade.
    The same angle doesn't suit all knives ( or other implements sharpened ).................blade edge angle varies with the duty of the knife/implement.

Sure, once you have established a blade edge angle within the capabilities of any sharpening system its easier & less work to maintain it with resharpening at that angle ............. it can be a lot of work to shift an OEM edge angle to something that suits the sharpening system of choice. OEMs typically choose edge angles to suit the particular duty the knife was designed for.

The advantages I see & like are being able to continue to use conventional stones ( instead of buying/making stones & carriers that are very different dimensions to conventional bench stones................that also gives you longer stones than in most of the other sharpening jig systems.................a distinct advantage on longer blades.

The stoning method shown in the vid is OK for establishing an initial edge at each grit size transition, its advisable to make finishing passes over the full length of the blade in a single pass to maintain smooth edge geometry before changing to the next grit size.

With this system, obviously to be able to maintain a consistent edge geometry on long blades the top rest needs to be approx the same length as the blade.

Re: Scimitar blade shapes , yes this jig system has distinct advantages over many other pivoting systems (eg Wicked & Lansky systems ) in maintaining a constant edge geometry along the blade .
    the specific technique you would need to use with a scimitar in the highly curved part of the blade is to maintain a fairly constant stone angle by altering the position of the stone carrier on the top rest to counteract the steepening of the angle between rest & blade as the edge curves towards the rest. Operator technique required, but something very limited in the pivoting jig systems. For a curved point boning style blade that stone angle adjustment would be achieved by dropping back the position of the carrier on the top rest towards the handle as the stoning progressed towards the point. ( hope that gives you an adequate wordpicture of what I am trying to describe )

All that said..................for knives up to say 8" the larger pivoting jig systems like "Wicked Edge" have minimal differences in edge geometry at the extremities of the sharpening arc. with longer blades the geometry changes more. Whilst the pivoting systems can be used with the same stoning method shown in the vid, the typical arc swing stoning method used with those systems ( largely due to the smaller stones ) automatically achieves a smooth edge geometry handle to tip.

As mentioned in other discussions on sharpening technique with jig systems , it is very useful to keep notes in a small notebook or computer file of exactly where each of your knives is mounted in the jig ( distance from handle & blade height exposed ) & replicating that mounting position each time the blade is sharpened ..............this minimises the work required & metal needed to be removed to re-establish your edge ( its doing the right thing to respect the blades you have acquired let alone saving yourself work ).

FWIW

6. elpescador

elpescador Senior Member

Our local Tackle store here in NZ has one and all I can say is it does a very good job on filleting knives , very sharp !!

7. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

Forgive me for being cheezy, but I always love hearing the Aussies and the Kiwis say 'danger'. Makes me think of Mr. Steve Irwin. Danger, danger, danger!

Melampus likes this.
  8. Timpon

Timpon Junior member

Thanks Denis, I might pull the trigger on one of these at approx Aus $510 instead of $1800 US for one of the Wicked Edge shown on another thread. The disadvantage of this one is that whilst I think you can adjust the angle of sharpening, you don't know exactly what angle it is you're sharpening the blade at, unlike the Wicked Edge system. Maybe putting markers on the frame with numbers so you can return to the exact angle you had it on when previously sharpening a particular knife might be the answer. The advantage is, as you pointed out, it can take any sized stone.

9. Timpon

Timpon Junior member

Hey, us Aussies sound nothing like the Kiwis, in fact, we make fun of their accent (and a lot of other things) all the time. :)

10. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

That one @ $1800 is the rolls royce bench mounted system
    The standard Wicked edge system is a couple of hundred bucks

11. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Senior Member

Looks like something of a PITA compared to sharpening by hand-it's a kind of giant Lansky really.

I do my Japanese knives by hands it's a breeze really but I don't care if there's a few scratches they're tools not museum pieces.

All kinds of info/comment/opinion here

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forum.php

12. Jameel

Jameel Banned

lol I need one of these knifes to deal with my fish.

13. Melampus

Melampus New Member

My first point would be that kata-ha style blades have a jig already built into them. A jig on a jig seems redundant, but I am admitedly not fond of jigs in any capacity though I do recognize their place in the matrix. Point being, the primary bevel on a single-bevel is your guide... you don't have to hold the angle as you would on a double-bevel. Sharpening kata-ha on a bench stone is as easy as it gets. You just hold the bevel flush to the stone as you grind your edge. If you choose to microbevel, you would have to then create your own freehand angle, but microbeveling is optional. I made a video a couple years back that might help you understand what I'm explaining. I ramble nonsensically about semi-pertinent trivia for the first 4 minutes, but then the explanation directly applies here. I strongly suggest free-handing your Yanagi-bas & De-bas.

http://youtu.be/4QQlzqOMhJY

Question on the jig would be if it supports a zero angle as you will need one to finish the urasuki (concave backside). Also, is the clamp strong enough to grip far enough above the shinogi (line of demarcation between bevel & blade face) so as to not encroach the stone while lapping?

14. Whakaki

Whakaki New Member

Believe me the sharpener works. We can gut deer in 30 seconds .There was a guy in the NZ venison recovery era called Dracula who could do it in 11 seconds but we have no complaints with our edge.Do all the extended family household knives.

15. lite-liner

lite-liner trolls beware Staff Member

It does look like a big Lansky.
    which has kept my skinners & fillet knives quite sharp for decades

16. kaveman

kaveman Senior Member

Very funny

17. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Deleted post to remove a troll idiot