Satellite Imagery

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by MrBill, May 8, 2007.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I was just wondering if many of you use the paid sites for satellite imagery. I have used two different services in the past. I'm now using another one that that will let you create your own personal way-points. Your personal way-points are displayed on the imagery by using your Longitude/latitude coordinates. Only you can view your personal spots.

These sites give you almost real time sea temps, chlorophyll, and true color satellite imagery. I have found these charts to be very accurate. It really helps to find good solid rip lines, color changes and temperature rips. They are extremely helpful to print out the night before an offshore trip. You can also zoom in up to 800% and still get clear imagery without a bunch of little pixels.

Here is an image from today of the GOM. I'm not pushing any service, just curious how many other people have had success with the services. The way-points have been removed in the photo.

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I have been using hiltons for the past two years.. that coupled with buoyweather helps me choose my windows to fish and which areas to target for fish.. sure its not cheap, but neither is burning 200 gals of fuel to go for a boat ride.. and not catch fish.. its not a guarantee, but it certainly allows you to find the temp breaks and the gives you the ability to drive straight to them..

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I have also used Hilton's and it is accurate. The detail in your image is great and I bet it is really nice zooming in. However, I am color-blind and I don't like the contrasting colors o this particular image. Is this a chlorophyll or temp chart?

4. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

That's pretty cool, Mr. Bill.

Temperature breaks and algae (plankton) blooms seem to be the key. Is there a system or product that allows a boat to sample water for algae concentration while traveling around? That kind of tool would be a significant addition to our armamentarium.

5. Argo

Argo Senior Member

is that from ripcharts.com ?

That looks pretty.....

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have also used Hilton's and it is accurate. The detail in your image is great and I bet it is really nice zooming in. However, I am color-blind and I don't like the contrasting colors o this particular image. Is this a chlorophyll or temp chart?

That picture is true color.

I've got a buddy that uses the system on board. It's really nice. If you think you are close to a rip but can't find it, you can plug in your current way-points and zoom in to see how far you are off. Of course, you need a laptop and a sat/phone connection.

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

is that from ripcharts.com ?

That looks pretty.....

Yes. I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks and if there are clear skys, they give perfect images.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Pope,
    Maybe you can see this better. This is a image of sea water temperatures.

Attached Files:

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I like how the service shows the breaks on the sea floor on the same map as the temp breaks. Rick and I watched and listen to Hilton explain to use how to use the laptop in conjunction with the sat phone while offshore. You can also plug the the numbers for a break on your auto pilot and follow it fairly well. That is cool!

Still, I like the contours on this map along with the breaks. That would be very good for swordfisherman setting up at night.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here is what is going on in the gulf today. Currents are starting to bring blue water closer to shore. I put in some popular spots so you can get your bearings.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here is what is going on in the gulf today. Currents are starting to bring blue water closer to shore. I put in some popular spots so you can get your bearings.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here is what is going on in the gulf today. Currents are starting to bring blue water closer to shore. I put in some popular spots so you can get your bearings. I talked this evening to some friends that went out today. Things are heating up as the big dolphin are starting to arrive off baker and dutra. Lots of hoo's out there right now. They raised two blue marlin but couldn't get a hook in them. One had the lure in his mouth 5 times with some of them lasting over two minutes screaming out the 40 pound drag setting. Sometimes they grab just the head of the lure and don't let go. That's why I like those hollow head lures where you can get the eye of the hook way up in the head.

Attached Files:

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's another shot of the area zoomed in.

Attached Files:

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's another image zoomed in. I pointed out a nice rip and color change.

Attached Files:

16. Bret

Bret Senior Member

That rip looks pretty nice for the guys leaving out of Port O.
    I do like that imagery...

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The rip lines show up better using the Chlorophyll Maps. Here's one below that is of the same time frame. All that plankton is a food chain. That good rip outside of POC is still holding up.

Attached Files:

18. Bret

Bret Senior Member

which site are you getting this from?? pretty cool.

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's a sea temp view of today. I put some hot spots in to help you with your bearings. I'm using two things. (ripcharts) and some other software to enlarge pictures. I'm working on being able to actually see the floaters and any specific rig I desire without a bunch of little pixels.

Attached Files:

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Whats up with the currents in the gulf? I compared a picture from this past Saturday with today. The blue water is still moving offshore. It is now about 4 miles farther offshore than last weekend. It's about a 75 mile run to find blue water today. Last year at this time is was a 21 mile venture.

To the left of the pink line is green to blue green, to the right of the line is good deep blue. I blew up this image to 600% to mark the line then took it back to normal size. I'm very close to what is out there today. Hopefully, the blue water will start moving in closer.

Attached Files:

21. Bret

Bret Senior Member

That sucks... I sure wish it would settle down and get into the ole summer pattern.. Thats a lot of fuel to burn just to get to good water as it sits now.. Maybe by the roundup it will be in by the rocks..

22. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That sucks... I sure wish it would settle down and get into the ole summer pattern.. Thats a lot of fuel to burn just to get to good water as it sits now.. Maybe by the roundup it will be in by the rocks..

Look above on this thread my post #11 dated 6/3/07. The blue water was only about 18 miles offshore. People were nailing the hoo's at Southern. The good water has moved out over 57 miles in 16 days. If it keeps up at that pace, Boomvang will be in green water by the roundup.

I remember the water last year was incredible at this time. They were catching hoo's at the Tankers just 4 miles offshore. This is really sad. I just looked up a post I did on the TFF board one year ago today. Here's the post.

"Galveston, I have seen the blue inside the jetties but it is always in late Aug to early Sept. I do agree that most people think the clear green is blue. Anyway, Tuesday 6/18/06 people were catching kingfish at both of the piers, even the pier at Charlies Pasture which is about 2 miles inside the end of the jetties. It must have been incredibly clear water for that to happen."

I later found out from numerous sources that the blue water did in fact enter the jetty's for three days that week. Very rare for June.

23. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I do remember that last year... I hope the patterns change and bring the blue water back inshore soon!!