saragosa/spheros fb differences

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jser, Apr 7, 2008.

1. jser

jser Junior member

they are similar i see... what are the differences, which is a better reel and why is this the case? i'm looking to get the 8000 size and not sure which i should get

2. jser

jser Junior member

so nobody knows? all i can tell is that they:

both have same drag numbers and type (dart)
    1 has 3'' retrieve on the other
    1 has .5 ratio faster
    both constructed with the same materials and body
    weight is same
    handles look slightly different, maybe not
    no main port on sara
    same capacity
    1 more bearing on the other

other than that i don't see any difference. anyone shed some light?

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Saragosa and Spheros are fine reels. I got Spheros 12000 & 14000FA with one upgraded. Saragosa has that Stella look is about the only difference. I've only fondle the new Spheros, but i'm sure you could do lots of damage with it. Great reels if you're not buying any Stellas.

4. jser

jser Junior member

yeah, no plan on a stella need that extra money for the yak. i think i'll just get the new spheros. plus i can get a new fb spheros for almost $100 less than what the saragosas are running new in the 8000 size.

5. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Anyone with experience between the old Spheros FA ($85) versus the new FB ($140)? Do the improvements justify the extra $55?

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have the new and old Spheros in the 4000 and the new one is smoother and casts better, I believe it has a sealed bearing and waterproof drag. I believe it is worth the difference in price.

7. DanS

DanS Senior Member

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I honestly haven't looked but I would guess in the top of the spool held in by some kind of retainer clip. But that is just a guess. I do know that the reels are tough as nails.

9. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Dan, The washers are on the top. Easy to change. I don't know what fish you want to target with the 8000, but if you get some carbontex washers from Smoothdrag you'll stand a better chance of landing some larger fish.

10. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Dan, The washers are on the top. Easy to change. I don't know what fish you want to target with the 8000, but if you get some carbontex washers from Smoothdrag you'll stand a better chance of landing some larger fish.

Fish under 100lbs. I've got two Trevala rods I need to break, so I'll spool up with 60# OTI Depthfinder and go to work. :D

I don't see Carbontex washers specifically for Spheros 8000. How about Stradic 6000, 8000?

11. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Once you buy it, take them out and measure them. Just make sure you keep order of washers the same, the keyed one is usually in the middle.

Call Dawn at Smoothdrag and she can make them up if they are different than any others she makes.

12. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I was told that the Shperos has 3 washers and the Saragosa has 5 washers.
    The Saragosa also has a paladin drive like the stella.

Just what I've heard though.

13. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Thanks fish4stripers

I'll give Dawn a call.

14. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I believe the saragosa has 1 extra bearing(could be wrong) on the crank shaft. The spheros has a bushing instead. This and other differences could be verified by looking at the schematics...

15. shooter75

shooter75 Member

The major differences I see is that the Saragosa has two crank bearing as where the Spheros has one bearing and one bushing (LIke SpecialK said) and the Saragosa has the cold forged gears as where the Spheros does not.

16. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I called Smoothdrag. I have a Spheros 8000 and according to them, it takes 3 of the Saragosa 18000 drag discs. They are arounn 17mm OD, 5mm ID, 1mm thick, and there are 3 in the spheros 8000. The Stradic 8000 Carbontex drags fit in the Saros 4000. I have a Spheros and Stradic 8000. The Stradic is much smoother and has a higher gear ratio. I was going to get a saragosa 18000, but may go with the Spheros since it is like half the price and upgrade the drags and handle!

17. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I called Smoothdrag. I have a Spheros 8000 and according to them, it takes 3 of the Saragosa 18000 drag discs. They are arounn 17mm OD, 5mm ID, 1mm thick, and there are 3 in the spheros 8000. The Stradic 8000 Carbontex drags fit in the Saros 4000. I have a Spheros and Stradic 8000. The Stradic is much smoother and has a higher gear ratio. I was going to get a saragosa 18000, but may go with the Spheros since it is like half the price and upgrade the drags and handle!

My 8000 shperos has a much better line lay then my 18000 saragosa.

18. seahunter

seahunter Member

The major differences I see is that the Saragosa has two crank bearing as where the Spheros has one bearing and one bushing (LIke SpecialK said) and the Saragosa has the cold forged gears as where the Spheros does not.
    The Saragosa is the same in bearings as the spheros..just a bush.
    The extra bearing for the Saragosa is in the knob.Not in the R/hand side plate

19. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Unless the Shimano parts diagrams are wrong... 'Gosa 8000F has 2 drive gear bearings P/N 10463. See:
    http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/08SRG8000F_v1_m56577569830641454.pdf

'Gosa 8000F has 2 more bearings than Spheros 8000FB. The other extra is very likely in the knob. (I don't have both in front of me, but I don't see it in the diagram!:)). I suspect that Spheros 8000FB has one bushing and one bearing in the knob. This is not uncommon.

Bearings and a knob/handle could be added and the drilled spool with Ti lip are nice bling... But the upgraded gear would be the seller for me personally.

(I still prefer Stradic 8000FI to 'Gosa 8000F though. ;))