Saragosa for popping?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by swsteven, Jul 30, 2009.

1. swsteven

swsteven Member

for u guys that have a saragosa for popping and jigging let me know what u think, any good? and if so would u get a 14000 or a 18000? i already have a stella 8000fa with a 400g rod, just need something else just incase i need more line

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Hey Steven, don't forget that Daiwa is coming out with the new Saltist Spinning reels this year:

Daiwa Saltist Spinning Reels

They look to be made for economical popping/stickbaiting. Check out the 6500H size, would be equivalent to Saragosa 14000/18000 size. Daiwa reels are usually a little more compact for same size class.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

honestly - at this point id recommend a saragosa over a saltist. JMO but from what i saw i liked the saragosa better.

time will tell though, this is only my feeling after playing with it at ICAST for 5 min.

4. swsteven

swsteven Member

wow that daiwa really looks nice ,but the drag is a little low

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Steven, you won't really need more than 24-25lbs of drag for tuna in the Gulf of Mexico man... Try lifting 24lbs of drag and see how it is... :D

6. swsteven

swsteven Member

that reel isnt pricey at all

7. swsteven

swsteven Member

hey han u goin to that trip dis weekend?

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

hey han u goin to that trip dis weekend?

Steven, nope, not going this weekend. I have other plans. :D

9. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Steven, you won't really need more than 24-25lbs of drag for tuna in the Gulf of Mexico man... Try lifting 24lbs of drag and see how it is... :D
    It may just be me, but being able to run 20-25 lbs of drag and not be at the cap is important.
    The saragosa wont really operate as advertised but I had my buddies Presa Canario.(Big Dog) pull a little over 30 and it was pretty dang smooth.

We need a real world (MrBill) test on this saltist spinning reel.

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It may just be me, but being able to run 20-25 lbs of drag and not be at the cap is important.
    The saragosa wont really operate as advertised but I dad my buddies Presa Canario.(Big Dog) pull a little over 30 and it was pretty dang smooth.

We need a real world (MrBill) test on this saltist spinning reel.

I completely agree on having a bit of room to push up the drag beyond 25lbs when necessary. We can't discount the Saltist 6500H as it's a new reel. Definitely need real world testing on that thing before we can really tell how well it holds up! :)

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I've had good luck with saragosa with tuna up to 100lb and believe Capt Dom up north has also has good luck with them also with tuna in 160lb range.

12. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I landed my 200+ tuna on a Saragosa 18000 and I was very impressed. With 20-25 lbs. of drag I landed her in 15 min. flat and the reel never even broke a sweat. For the money I don't think you can beat them.

13. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

I may or may not be wrong, but I remember reading a posting that Capt. Dom mentioned the saragosa 18000 he had seized up on him. :confused: But this might be because he uses it day in day out for months. I was thinking about a gosa for a back up reel as well but am a bit skeptical after I heard that post.

14. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

The first run of Saragosa's had a drag cap that would over heat,melt and cause problems. You can call the service dept and get the new upgrade cap free. They told me that it was the first run that had issues.

15. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

The first run of Saragosa's had a drag cap that would over heat,melt and cause problems. You can call the service dept and get the new upgrade cap free. They told me that it was the first run that had issues.

Holy Sh!t Bruce. Where and when did you catch that monster in your avatar?

16. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

17. swsteven

swsteven Member

wow thanx for the info guys,