360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Saragosa - anyone used it yet?

9K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  cheers 
#1 ·
Gday guys, just after a bit of info on the the new Saragosa? Over here in Australia we wont get it till May sometime, and while its look the goods on paper I'd like to hear from people who have bought one and fished with it, particulary the 18000.
Over here its very common to get a Spheros 14000 and add the xtra bearing and change the drag washers for carbontex ones, and then use it for popping and jigging.

It seems shimano has done the work for us with this model.

A local tackle shop owner has seen one and his first comment was that its drag washer was very small compared to the spheros?? Anyone confirm this? That would be a worry if it is...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Woody

#3 ·
The saragosa 14000 has 5 dartanium drag washers,that measure 11/16 inch diameter.The washers are fragile,and I just got 3 new carbontex drag washers from "smoooth"(dawn),which are the right size,but hole in the middle is a little to small.She is sending me more,and I will ream out the hole to fit,and send her my original washers,so she can size them properly,for future reference.
I like this reel,and look forward to using it.

#4 ·
The saragosa 14000 has 5 dartanium drag washers,that measure 11/16 inch diameter.The washers are fragile,and I just got 3 new carbontex drag washers from "smoooth"(dawn),which are the right size,but hole in the middle is a little to small.She is sending me more,and I will ream out the hole to fit,and send her my original washers,so she can size them properly,for future reference.
If you got carbontex drag washers for Saragosa 14000, then they must sent you old Spheros 14000/18000's drag washers.
It means the sizes of New Saragosa, New Spheros and old Spheros are same.

#5 ·

If you don't mind let me know what the size ends up being. I need to trade mine out as well. I want to try out the stock drag for one light duty trip and see how they act. I will definately uprgrade afterward.
-K

G
#7 ·
I plan on trying to push the stock drags to their limits. After all - Shimano says this reel can do 44lbs of drag. If they really cannot due to some weakness, I'd like to find it and see if they'll correct it before swapping stuff out with after-market items.

#8 ·
Many West Coast fishermen just don't like Dartainium drag by claiming
the Dartainium drag is very brittle and very messy.
Many of our group have been using Trinidad for a long time and still they don't complain much about the drag. In fact, I like the silky smoothness of of the drag.
I am going to use Saragosa out of box until it gives me problems.

#11 ·
Yeah, generally I use my reels right out of the box and upgrade accordingly. I too like the Dartainum drag as I have no problems with my Trini...yet.

Kil, what kind of gears in the Saragosa, brass, stainless ?
I was told by Shimano rep that Saragosa has Paladin gearing as Stella has.

It seems guys who complain about Dartainium drag washers are those who like to open reels on land instead of using the reel on the water. :)
I can not open any reels as I don't know how to put them back. :)
My friend jokingly said something breaks whenever he opens Japanese reels.

#15 ·
I have to admit guys i am back on the shimano train I was glad to see shimano made improvments to the spheros and that they introduced something of a poor mans stella. i am anxiously awaiting kils test of the saragossa. (ps the money is burning a hole in my pocket please hurry with the tests).

#16 ·
ohh and if anyone wants to know what i did with the fin-nor i sold it to a friend (i couldnt get used to the weight),not to say that the reel was not a good reel but my spheros was much smoother and i cranked in fish much easier.i also want to try deep jigging and i need a reel with a faster gear ratio.Another thing that had me worried was 1.fin-nor hyped the 60lb drag max but that is no longer posted on their site.2.Called fin-nor and the customer service rep sounded awful as if she didnt care 3.isaw the broken gear and couldnt imagine my trophy fish at the other end of the line

#17 ·
I have had my fall out with shimano before but the customer service is excellent and from the complaints that i gave them about the spheros it is good to see some one was listening that u can never pay for.so i am keeping my fingers crossed with this new saragossa reel and hoping it reel lives up to what its billied at.ps does anyone know where i can get one preferably the 18000

#20 ·
can anyone tell me where i can get the saragossa. also i need to know your guys thoughts on the diawa saltigaz 6000 is it any good i have a dealer that is telling me that he wants me to carry this line(i work at an ace store in jamaica and im responsible for the fish and tackle department).i might want to try one depending on your recommendations.

#21 ·
Anyone that wants to replace the drag washers,with smoothies,and dont want to wait,you can use the same ones I got from Dawn.I just drilled out the hole in center,slightly larger.....took about a minute....I held all the drag washers between the SS washers,and lightly clamped,and then drilled it out.
The diameter,is 11/16 inch.Here is a pic.

Attachments

#25 ·
woody - check out kilsong's review of it when he jigged AJs in NC. I'm going to do the exact same thing in May, so I'll post my experience (though i think it will be the same).

And then I will follow suit, shortly ;) Are you going to be switching out the drag for the carbontex Bret? This will be my main jigging reel.

G
#26 ·
no, i'll keep it the same. I'll use my stella as the main reel most likely. the reason i don't plan on changing anything is that if Shimano claims this can do 44lbs of drag, but its sticky at 28lbs....then that is a problem they should know about, and fix themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.