Saragosa 8000

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jiggawhat, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

How would the saragosa 8000 be for light jigging?I live in North Florida so we do not run into tuna mostly amberjack,snapper, grouper. Would this reel be okay?

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

So does anyone think this reel will work?

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Is that the 8K or 18K? 18K NO PROBLEM, 8k may be a bit on the light side, especially with AJ!

4. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i figured the 8000 cause it would be lighter and i wont be maxing out the drag

5. papio

papio Senior Member

Yes the 8000 will be fine. I use 8000 series Stradic, Saragosa, Sustain, and Stella for most of my light to heavy jigging. I never plan or hope to hook a fish over 100 lbs but if I do and get spooled, oh well, I'll just have a story to tell.

I use the 8000 size reels because of comfort and i can jig aggressively for long periods. I also like to lock down my drags to see which will break first. It sure hurts though, abusing my physical being like that, hehehe.

6. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I use the 18K for throwing poppers at tuna, occasionaly jig for snapper, lot of fun! I usually won't even try an AJ on spinner, I prefer a big 50 on a meat stick for that type of work!

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I use the 18K for throwing poppers at tuna, occasionaly jig for snapper, lot of fun! I usually won't even try an AJ on spinner, I prefer a big 50 on a meat stick for that type of work!

Oh come on you chicken, you can catch quite big fish on small reels if you try.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

8K is perfect. I have seen 70+lb Ajs landed with a 8k and pe-5. it wasn't just one either it was 2 days of hardcore Aj fishing

d-a

9. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

thats what im talkin about.If it happens it happens but ill put up a fight!!!!!!!!!!How many people have been spooled by something thats not a tuna or shark??????????????????

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

thats what im talkin about.If it happens it happens but ill put up a fight!!!!!!!!!!How many people have been spooled by something thats not a tuna or shark??????????????????

How about big billfish...? ;)

11. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

im not in billfishwaters!ok not big billfish waters.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Never been spooled yet, If i start loosing line too fast the drag will be increased exponetionaly. Thats why my OJ can put out over 50lbs of drag and my little torium gets 33lbs.

d-a

13. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I personally like the Stradic 8000FI better than Saragosa for about the same $$, and you get a spare spool too. Can't remember all of the internal comparisons, but one thing I remember are how much larger the drag washers were. Not saying Saragosa can't handle it, just that Stradic felt better to me overall...

I upgraded to carbontex and it has been perfectly capable on an all-around 300g GOM rig with PE5 and ~15lbs drag. It should handle more, but line capacity isn't great on 8K above PE5, and I already have a 20K for PE8 rig. ;) Next choice (for me) in 8000 size would be to step up to Sustain 8000FE or Twinpower 8000.

I got a great deal on a Stella 8000FA used, so the Stradic is now pulling backup duty. But that was strictly a want... not really a need!

Later!

14. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

JAson what did you pay for the stella if you dont mind me asking?Thats what i was thinking just look for a stella 8000fa on ebay or craigslist or a forum.

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I haven't bought a Saragosa yet. I still think the sleeper in the mid range spinning reel market is the Sustain. I've put a Sustain 8000 to the test many times including catching a few YF's while jigging for BF's. It's in a different league than the Stradic.

16. Jason4606

I think it was $450 for JDM model with 2 spools full of line. Looks like new reel. You can usually find them for $400-450, without extra spool.

17. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Jason: Between you , Freddy and, Jonny you guys are going to sink my boat with all the extra jigging stuff y'all have.

18. Jason4606

I think Freddy probably could by himself! Especially if he brings all of his jigs! :) :) I think he needs an intervention!

Jiggawhat - You probably already know this. But other folks may be reading too... Important thing to recognize on any Shimano reel is the series. Sustain FE is good reel, not so sure about FD and earlier. Stradic FH and earlier have caught a lot of flak.

But the FI series Stradic introduced last year are nice reels IMO. They share much of the FE Sustain's design. But they do give up Ti lipped spool and 2 bearings.

For <=$250 Sustain is a tough deal to beat. But they can be hard to find discounted too... For the $300 MSRP I'd save some more beans and look for a deal on a Stella FA.

IF you only have $150, (and $10 for Carbontex ;) ) or will only fish inshore stuff mentioned, I still think the Stradic FI is a good reel. Not as good as others, but for snapper, kings, AJ, smaller grouper, etc... it's a capable little reel.

Later!

19. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Chicken? Maybe, or maybe I am just getting too old to care anymore? I am a firm believer in a short fight, with big fish. Redfish on light gear, great fun, love to do that. I guess early in my offshore career I too often found myself outgunned by oversized fish and had more than my fair share of "heartbreak" due to that issue. To each his own my friends, just givin' my two cents worth!!!

20. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

For what its worth I bought a buddy a 8000 Stradic and he caught ajs to 50# on it without a hitch. It will handle anything in that range , no problem.

21. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Thats what i was thinking the depth, size , and species i fish in the 8000 size should be ok i guess ill have to just find outby getting one.