saragosa 18000F

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by rance, Jul 18, 2009.

1. rance

rance Senior Member

Hello. My question is: when you open the box on a new saragosa there is a small plastic bag with a bottle of oil in it, and another small plastic bag with 4 fiber washers in it. The washers are smaller in circumference than the regular drag washers, but the center hole on them is designed to fit on the main shaft like a drag washer( rounded on two edges and straight on the other two sides like the shape of the main shaft) They are also very thin. Can anyone tell me what these washers are for? Thanks............Rance

2. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Hello. My question is: when you open the box on a new saragosa there is a small plastic bag with a bottle of oil in it, and another small plastic bag with 4 fiber washers in it. The washers are smaller in circumference than the regular drag washers, but the center hole on them is designed to fit on the main shaft like a drag washer( rounded on two edges and straight on the other two sides like the shape of the main shaft) They are also very thin. Can anyone tell me what these washers are for? Thanks............Rance

For moving the spool up in case the line stacks high when spooling. It doesnt take much to get the job done if you need to use them to shim. Also there are two sizes in there and one thin one may do the trick.

3. SAND

SAND Member

For moving the spool up in case the line stacks high when spooling. It doesnt take much to get the job done if you need to use them to shim. Also there are two sizes in there and one thin one may do the trick.

I bought one Saragosa 18000F few weeks ago from ebay, but I cannot find that washers inside the box?
    Do I really need them?

4. GanderVA

GanderVA Senior Member

Sand--I got an early version of the Saragosa 1800F and have no washers in the box. I know what you are talking about because I got them with my Stellas and have not used them. You might want to call Shimano and get the the free upgrade for early versions to the drag system for improved heat control. Gary

5. pipelayer2

pipelayer2 Junior member

I noticed those, too, when I purchased mine last week. I also contacted Smoooth Drag and gots a set of Carbontex drag washers to re-do the drag system. After I got the spool off, I saw where you shim the spool with the extra washers (if needed) below the spool on the drive shaft.

I was able to pull almost 40lbs of drag (shimano hand scale) with a full spool of 80lb braid and original washers. I bought the Carbontex mainly for the additional heat dispersion and smooth pull of the drag (hopefully leading to a long offshore life). After conversion, the reel pulled 37-39 lbs, but was (as my 9 yr old put it) "smooth like butter". Can't wait to let mr. tunafish pull on it a little. Also matched it with an FTU 7', 80-100lb spinning rod. Balances out well and seems to cast far, but we shall see.

6. hookedonfishing

hookedonfishing Senior Member

I realize this post is from last summer, but I bought a Saragosa 18000 yesterday and had the same question. Can someone explain what is meant by "in case the line stacks high"? Not sure what to watch for.............

7. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

you'll know it if you see it. It will be thicker higher in the spool instead of evenly laid.

8. hookedonfishing

you'll know it if you see it. It will be thicker higher in the spool instead of evenly laid.

Crap. I wish I had read this before putting 400 yds of line on yesterday!:( It looks like it stops about 1/8" short of the base of the spool. I noticed it while I was spooling it, but didn't know that's what the washers were for. I know what I'll be spending my afternoon doing.....:mad: :mad: :mad:

9. hookedonfishing

actually you dont have to re-spooled again if you dont want to.
    Just put the washer on the shaft & when you go fishing a good fish will set it right for you or make a deep drop and reel it back it will lay perfectly JMO

Oh, NOW you tell me...........;) Actually it wasn't bad at all. Only took about 1/2 hour to finish.:D There was some "trial and error" to find out how many washers it needed, but in the end only took 1 thick and 1 thin.

10. hookedonfishing

Opsssss Sorry:( hahaha Nothing better to kiil your free than , spool ...opss incorrect re spooled .... spool shims on CORRECT:D . dont you love when you learn something new every day;)
    Are you driving today to ge that rod or what ?

Definitely learned something new today. My wife thinks I was "playing" with my toys. I guess she's right.:D

11. Freedom Won

Freedom Won Senior Member

Definitely learned something new today. My wife thinks I was "playing" with my toys. I guess she's right.:D

Learn your equipment and you won't be 2 steps behind,,,, Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.....

Words we live by in the teams.... sure do miss those days, and it's only been a year since I retired...:cool: