Sandies

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by mikej, Dec 21, 2007.

1. mikej

mikej Guest

Been fishing Eagle Mountain lately with some friends, and killing the local sand bass population. Taking my friends "blight on the sea-scape" pontoon boat Sweet Melissa out, we manage to troll with about 6-8 rods in the water with a constant stream of Sandies hitting on diving cranks (at whatever depth the graph is showing) from 10-18ft. They seem to like the pearl "Ghost" Rapala's.

Last time I went out we caught about 20 keepers, but he went out the next weekend and got 70 keepers doing the same thing.

Pope: Long time no see and or talk. I've become addicted to fishing blue water since you took me to Galveston when I graduated-- thanks for a great time, and thanks for making my checking account cry at night.

Edit: My camera is a cheapo digital <1MP and it wont keep the correct date.

Attached Files:

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Holy Smoke Jafrass! I recognized you as soon as I saw you. You are a man! We definitely need to hook up with some yellowfin. How in the world did you find us on this board? You make me feel older than I felt this morning. Everyone welcome mikej, one of my former students from 9 years ago!

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

hehe.. You are OLD!!!! (Pope)... hehe... Jafrass... try putting a Norman DD-22 on one of those trolling rigs.. might be suprised at the size that hit it... :)

4. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Anything named Sweet Melissa (and catches fish) cannot be all that bad!

Nice sandies and welcome to 360!

5. mikej

mikej Guest

Holy Smoke Jafrass! I recognized you as soon as I saw you. You are a man! We definitely need to hook up with some yellowfin. How in the world did you find us on this board? You make me feel older than I felt this morning. Everyone welcome mikej, one of my former students from 9 years ago!

Correction: YOU make ME feel old. Aging used to be fun. I digress.

Excellent question of how I found 360. I remember when you emailed me a picture or two of some crappie you caught at Roberts (they were monsters), anyway, you had a link or something referencing a Tuna website.

I could have sworn it was 972 or 9 something tuna.com or perhaps the area code of Galveston and tuna.com. Finally after enough searching I found this website a year or so ago and saw something you posted on the main page or a forum post or something. I have remembered it ever since.

As far as putting on a DD-22 for trolling-- I'd have to look that up, but I've come up with some cool rigs for the new downrigger I bought for his boat. We look like a shrimp boat when we go trolling there are so many poles in the water!

Trying to convince a friends dad to take me out to catch some winter black's off the coast of Florida where he lives-- I think he might be giving in.

Edit: Pope, my deer lease is on about ~5500 acres (2400 huntable) with some huge tanks (some fed from Whitney), good place to catch some big bass, I'll try to find those photos. I looked up those dd-22's. I've got some deep diving rapalas now 18+ feet. The new downrigger allows us the depth we need while looking at the graph, marking fish, and adjusting. Now much hope for them now, but I think its getting a little cold, so we are going to need to slow the presentation down, perhaps slab'em, or go hit some stripers in texoma with some sassy shads.

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

It is cold. You can dead stick the sandies with a slab right now. Should be easy. Let hit that deer lease of your for some of those bass soon. Sounds like a good time. Post some of the hunting pics on the hunting forum. Did you shoot a nice buck this year?