Saltwater Experience TV Show, Daytime Swords

Discussion in 'Billfish' started by Earl, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Earl

Earl Senior Member

If any of you have the VS channel, check out and see if they rebroadcast the episode of Saltwater Experience where they are fishing for Swords during the DAYTIME out of Walker Cay in the Keys...

Seems that one of the guides there has figured it out, gets one on almost every drop. He targets them at 2000 feet. Very interesting show.

Earl

2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

If any of you have the VS channel, check out and see if they rebroadcast the episode of Saltwater Experience where they are fishing for Swords during the DAYTIME out of Walker Cay in the Keys...

Seems that one of the guides there has figured it out, gets one on almost every drop. He targets them at 2000 feet. Very interesting show.

Earl

I haven't seen that show yet but am sure I will. My TV stays on VS, The Outdoor Channel and Sunshine Network most of the time.

There was a good show recently called Big Water Adventures, on one of the channels, about catching really nice Red Snapper out of Port Mansfield in 60' of water.

I had to laugh when I was watching the show Offshore Adventures last week. When a guy caught a huge Grey Triggerfish he threw it back and said they were inedible ..... and they were fishing for dinner.

3. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I saw that show also and it was pretty interesting but I want that Yellow fin he was running more than the sword!

4. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Yep that was a beautiful boat.
    Earl

I saw that show also and it was pretty interesting but I want that Yellow fin he was running more than the sword!

5. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

not to hijack but while on the subj of fishing shows, has anyone other than myself realized how much of a stuck up prick tred barta is?

6. Bret

Bret Senior Member

not to hijack but while on the subj of fishing shows, has anyone other than myself realized how much of a stuck up prick tred barta is?

Yeah, hes an ass, but you have to respect him for all he has accomplished in his hunting and fishing career.. He's pretty anal about all that he does, but he is very persistant.. I would like to fish with him... He's forgotten more about tuna fishing than you and I will probably ever learn..

Oh yeah, back to the swordfishing show.. I havent seen it but will try to watch it when it re-airs..

7. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey Earl!

I will watch for the show, but I read a swordie article that may have been about this Captain/guide.

I think the fish are around La and Tx too! Jared get busy, figure it out, then post here! LOL

8. gman

gman Senior Member

It would be harder to do in deeper water off texas as the majority of the big swords being caught are literally on the bottom and the gulf bottom is much deeper than where they are catching them presently off Florida. The daytime bite in theory will work anywhere, its just a matter of finding the right breaks, structure and getting the bait to the deep which generally is around the 2,0000 ft mark with a breakaway weight and a large dead bit properly rigged

9. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I am not an expert, but i know how to do where to go, just need to get someone that has the new diawa bull electric retrieval reel, or has a dewalt with about 8 or 10 batteries to crank up the tiagra. Me and wacker are workin on that. The theory is the fatties stay deeper because they can consistantly get food at that depth. No electric reel for me however, only fore tilefish, grouper.

I am willing to bet me and wacker get one in the daytime as well as night with the new rigging info i have aquired.;) The problem is we always **** around all day and end up gettin to the secret spot right in time for night time bite.

IMO....The texas daytime deal has potential to work better than fla, as we dont have the 4-5 knot current they do, therefore easier to hit bottom. It isnt as easy as it seems and there is a steep learning curve involved. TRUST ME.

10. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Those Yellowfins are sweet. I've fished out of a 34 and 36 on numerous occasions, top notch for sure.

11. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

electric reels are cheating!

but, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying!

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

electric reels are cheating!

but, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying!

Are you calling Rick a cheat?:D

13. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

This crank adaptor from Electra-mate for $20 is kind of cheating.

Big Dewalt drill with a 3\8 socket chucked in it and your ready to
    wind up swet free when you need to change baits.
    Get a fish on and fight mano-a-mano.:cool:

Attached Files:

14. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

The show is on now -- 02/15 - 9:00 PM

15. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Found the article I mentioned.

The second of two parts is in "Florida Sportfishing Magazine", Jan/Feb 2008, page 28, by Capt. Justin Nighan.

The first part was in the Nov/Dec 2007 issue.

The title is "Breakfast Broadbills".

I don't know, but you might find the article on their web site: Home - Florida Sport Fishing