Saltist???

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Chumlord, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Facing the reality that my Torium's days are numbered in the jigging arena What size is recommended 30, 40, or 50???

Mostly for light jigging I have my Tyrnos 16 for heavier stuff???

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Just my 2 cents, but I would go with a 40, it would match great on an OTI 300g and have enough line capacity for the big'uns if you hook up.

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Saltist 40 is a beast!I havnt had any problems with it.Get carbontex and let it fish. its worth it.

4. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I got the Saltiga 30T (which really should be called the 40N) and it is awesome. However, it doesn't have the capacity to do any really deep jigging. But anything 350' and less it can handle.

Anyway, I think they make a 30T in the Saltist also.

5. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

I just compared the line capacity to my Torium 20's capacity and the STT40 is it.

Thanks fellas!!!

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The Saltist 40 is the same match for the Torium 20. That is the switch I made also. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Saltist.

7. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

So which one is superior... anti reverse system, drag capabilities etc... thinking about buying a 40 but if it is not better than my Torium 20 then why but a new one.

I am under the impression the Saltist is more heavy duty than the Torium.

Let's hear it!!!

8. MacPE6

MacPE6 Junior member

I have a 30 and a 40. The 40 is a beast as already stated. The 30 is little smaller but does fine loaded with braid. I use 50# but haven't had the chance at the bigger stuff yet. Largest I have fought with it is a 45 poundish AJ. The drag layed over and I had to thumb the spool some but I plan to put the carbons in there to correct that or at least that's my theory. The 40 is all that just as is! I have landed some large 100+ sharks as it outa the box. I still plan to up the drag with carbons though just cuz I can mostly. And the 40 holds PLENTY of line. IMHO

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The Saltist is stronger than the Torium, but you can blow it up also if you lock down the drag, so I run mine about 2/3 and thumb the spool if I need to turn a fish from a wreck or reef. I blew up a Torium 20 - 3 times in 5 trips, while under warranty and Shimano fixed.

10. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member