360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
178 Posts
Go Saltist.

I feel its a better built reel with also a lot less complaints (if any) about its anti-reverse. Saltist also has more cranking power. Upgrade the drag washers in the Saltist and you can tackle tuna up to 125 or so lbs with no problems.

I prefer my Saltigas over my Trinidads for bottom fishing and tuna fishing any day of the week. They just feel more solid and connected. Again, also love the cranking power.

You should be albe to get over 22lbs of drag with the Saltist. My buddys Saltist 50 gets 24lbs. My Saltiga SA50 with carbontex drag washers gets 25lbs of drag.

·
972 Posts
Daiwa Saltist or Saltiga are better for jigging (Kil uses Saltiga 40)
Trinidad 40 is ok too - but Trinidad 20 & 30 are more suitable for top water fishing - cast great

·
395 Posts
Both reels are good, when you up grade the drags and use a high drag is when you'll have failures. If you think you may want high drag buy better reels.

·
182 Posts
If used for jigging then get the 4.9 saltist cause the torium is 6:1 gear ratio.That will wear you out.

That would be my comment as well.

Both sweet reels however and will do the job well, the Saltist is just better suited for the task. We use our Toriums for King Mac fishing and the are outstanding.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the Saltist 40H for jigging. Out of the box drag was messed up could only get 13 lbs of drag with the star wheel tightened as tight as humanly possible. Flipped the spring washers around reel performed fine. Getting a replacement reel on Friday from Daiwa. Bought the high speed for jigging because around here the Blackfins are with the AJs, FAs and Sharks. On recommendations from charter captains saying you need to reel as fast as you can and then some they all concurred the high speed is the only way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts