Saltist side bushing upgrade to bearing???

Discussion in 'Reels' started by straycatboat, Apr 3, 2009.

1. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

Hear about an upgrade for the saltist plastic side bushing to a ceramic bearing .
    :) Anyone know the bearing #:)

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Spiney did you do yours?Whats the benefit?

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I haven't done mine yet but I am going to as soon as the warranty is up on my reel. The benefits are it is stronger and smoother.

4. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

What about replacing it with a regular bearing instead of the bushing? Does it need to be the ceramic bearing??

5. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

got my bearing from Alan Tani...I'll try to find the link that was on Noreast

6. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I mean how much stronger could it be will it break the antireverse dogleg?

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

A bearing that rolls is always stronger than a bushing, plastic at that. It shouldn't have any negative affect on the antireverse bearing.

8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Oh ok i thought it improved drag some how ....duh just replacing a plastic part

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

It has nothing to do with drag, it just improves the strength of the spool and helps freespool.

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I just did the bushing to bearing upgrade for my Saltist 30T, and it does make it feel a bit stronger and more stable in the retrieve.

Ty

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Awesome I still need to do mine and the carbontex drag as well.

12. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Awesome I still need to do mine and the carbontex drag as well.

I also have the carbontex drags to install, but I did not do it because I do not have Cal's Grease. You know if the Penn Grease would work, since I can get that down the road at my local Dick's Sporting Goods.

Overall I did notice an improvement in the bushings to bearings upgrade. Can't wait to test it out on the water.

Ty

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Yes it will work but Alantani says that Cals grease is better. You can do with one and service it after the season with Cals.

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Yes it will work but Alantani says that Cals grease is better. You can do with one and service it after the season with Cals.

ok. Thanks.