Saltist Drag???

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Chumlord, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Bought a new Saltist 40H it could only achieve 14 pounds of drag with the star tightened as tight as humanly possible. I returned it and the second one can only achieve 17 pounds of drag with the star as tight as possible. Anyone have answers or experience with these reels?? I thought this reel should handle 20 lbs out of the box. It doesn't seem right to me??? It seems as if there is very little adjustment left after the reel is at like 10 lbs of drag maybe 2 or 3 clicks of the star until it is tight as possible.

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I have not fished this reel. But I have seen plenty of references to them and the fact that to get best performance you should get the carbontex drag upgrade. check the archives on this board to find references.....

Found it under the reels section, just have to go back a couple of pages!!!

3. markm

markm Member

Check out Alan Tani's website he has a tutorial for a saltist 40 carbontex drag upgrade. That will give you a good idea of what the reel will do after updating and how to do it. I have also read that the stock drag washers sometimes can be dried or rubbed with a clean rag and reinstalled to get more drag. Nice reel for the money but I like the Penn Baja Special better for about the same cost. I have both and use the Baja much more. Hope this helps.
    MM

4. DEA

DEA Member

I've seen quite a few Saltists and Saltigas outta the box that had below advertised drag pressure.

My Saltiga 20 are right on the dot, though.

Too many factors to consider but replacing with Carbontex usually cures lackluster drag performance.

5. obtuseangler

obtuseangler Junior member

the high speed (H) version will produce less drag than the lower geared model.

It's the laws of physics, not a QA issue with the reel.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Chumlord: Just know if you modify your drag you will void the warranty.
    I have the 40H and I don't lock down the drag I just thumb the spool if I need extra to turn a big fish.

7. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

the high speed (H) version will produce less drag than the lower geared model.

It's the laws of physics, not a QA issue with the reel.

This is exactly right, although the spec says max drag drops from 22 lbs. in the 40 to 20 lbs. in the 40H. Sounds like it's too low but not owning that reel (although I jig for bass with the Penn Mariner which has a nearly identical schematic) I can only offer some ideas.

--The same gears which make the handle reel in more line per turn reduce the drag torque because the drag washers are on the handle side of the gear not the spool side.

--I've reassembled my Mariner many times after servicing it. It is easy to assemble incorrectly because the Drive Shaft Retainer Plate is hard to install. You need 2 1/2 hands and have to hold the assembly upside down. Maybe a drag washer was left out. Also possibly, part #52 the drag spring washer is upside down. Or some other part in the stack is incorrect.

--How much line do you have on the spool. I don't know what they mean by their max drag spec but is it with full line or empty line. That number will differ by 2:1 or more. Although the drag TORQUE is constant, the max drag is lower with a full spool and probably twice as high with an empty spool.

--My last comment is about all reels of this type. The drag stack sits inside the reel housing without good contact to a big piece of metal. If you set the drag at fifteen pounds and a fish pulls 200 yards of line off the reel, the heat generated is about equal to 3 - 100 Watt bulbs. Where does the heat go? There is no good thermal path to a big piece of metal, so the answer is that everything gets very hot. Heat is the enemy of grease and bearings.

(For spinning reels for big game, I only want reels where the main drag washers are large and in direct contact with the bottom of the spool--none of those top-of-spool drag-washer reels for me. The spool is a big piece of metal and good for dissipating heat. You can even cool the bottom-washer style with a piece of ice if you hook a career-fish)

8. ember

ember Guest

I dont think gear ratio will have any influence what so ever on drag pressure. If your doing it right,the main and pinion gears should pretty much be standing still when the drag is working,no? Sometimes the drag will work better after a couple of smoking runs, to seat everything. Take it fishing first.What are you using for a scale?

9. pametfisher

I dont think gear ratio will have any influence what so ever on drag pressure. If your doing it right,the main and pinion gears should pretty much be standing still when the drag is working,no? Sometimes the drag will work better after a couple of smoking runs, to seat everything. Take it fishing first.What are you using for a scale?

If the drag washers were mounted directly on the spool, you'd be right. However in this reel (and in my old Penn 49L Mariner) the drag washers are mounted on the handle shaft. That means the pinion gear from the spool is driving the handle through the pinion gear's step-down ratio to the drive gear. That ratio is different between the 40 and 40H, hence the difference in drag spec.

Chumlord, One other idea: some of the metal washers in the drag stack have dog-ears and some don't. Maybe they are installed in the wrong order or maybe one of the dog-eared washers is hung. Or maybe as Ember says, it needs to be seated through use.

10. ember

ember Guest

Actually...it appears as though you are right....

11. obtuseangler

Well of course he was right, he was agreeing with me ;)

12. ember

ember Guest

And so.....another board bites the dust

13. obtuseangler

And so.....another board bites the dust

Just for you perhaps.

I like it here.

14. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Thanks all I am going to call Daiwa Monday and ask What's up But I feel fishing it may help out as the first one had an incredible amount of grease on the drag I will post what they say.

Lou

15. pametfisher

... yeah, but if it were a spinning reel, the gear ratio wouldn't have mattered. ... what's on my mind now is when will the BFT return to CCB ... keep the faith ...

16. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Took apart the reel Daiwa was closed today there was so much grease on the drag it was not funny cleaned off the excess and voila 26 lbs of drag no problem.