360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All....looking at a saltist 40 High Speed for rock bottom price and was wondering what its best application is. I typically use the 4.9 retrieve for cod/haddock etc as I think the cranking ability is much better. However, as I do not want a 2 speed reel this size, I was wondering if it would be good to have the high speed in the arsenal.

Is the high speed good for butterfly jigs etc?

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i have the torium 30 with a 6:2 gear..never used.

i bought the saltigas low gear and all my other reels have had low gearing.
for most of my fishing low gear is prefered...

i have used higher gears when on trips and we are trying different stuff.
but i dont actually own any. other than the tor30

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
guys use high speed for ripping iron and maybe topwater lures.

i am sure some guys use high speed for bottom fishing or jigging..just not me

·
553 Posts
there's many who uses high speeders and really like them but i believe more anglers prefer the 4.9 ratio standard cranking power - including me.

i too have the STT40H and used it once and didn't like it. it was very uncomfortable and had to work harder pumping/cranking on big AJs.

i now use a Saltiga 40 low gear, but will try the STT40H again to try to experience why some anglers like H/S gear.

·
471 Posts
I have the Saltist 50 in high speed. When catching blackfin the loss of power doesnt really seem to matter and it takes less cranks to bring the jig up from 200 and 300 feet and that depth is sometimes necessary to get strikes consistantly. (My last trip for one) I caught 2 small yellowfin (~15lbs at the dock) and you had to elevate the rod and crank your way down to gain line at first; then they came on up. A friend of mine caught a tuna in the 50lb range on the same set up and it was raise the rod and crank on the way down for the whole fight. I dont know how the lower speed would have performed in these situations but I hope the information helps you know what to expect from the high speed reels.

Side thought both of the smaller yellowfin hit the jig while laying the rod on the rail and cranking as fast as I could go. All blackfin hit the jig on the drop and the bigger yellowfin hit the jig on the drop. Dont know if those two small yellowfin hit because the jig was coming in at 6.2 fast or if they would have hit 4.9 speed as well.

Good luck, tight lines and both speeds put tasty fish in the boat.

·
4 Posts
Been testing a 30 for the past 2 seasons. It has been flawless. Used for deep water fluke, seabass and some pogy livelining. Gonna pick up another 30 and a 20 next season.

·
776 Posts
i use my saltist 40H for striper fishing, either livelining pogies or eels, this reel is def. enough to tackle the biggest bass!

but i have yet to try it out on any other species, i haven't risked it on the BFTs up my way this year, instead ive been jigging with the baja special 4.25 retrieve

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been using the saltist 30 with the 4.9 retrieve for stripers and love it....thought maybe the high speed would work a butterfly jig better and maybe allow me so swim baits better.

I have tested the 30 low gear on bluefin in NH and had no problems at all....fish up to about 100 lbs. I would, however, use at the very least the 40, if not the 50, if you target the tuna......purely for capacity sake.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw his posting and asked what he felt was better, but I don't think he responded. I have seen stock saltists catch 5 bluefin over 150lb in one day without issue....sometimes I think we get caught up in details and get chicken little/sky is falling over some of these issues.

·
471 Posts
Read up on Alantani's recommendations on the drag ability of this reel.

didnt find the article searching his threads. any suggestions on how to find it?

·
362 Posts
I have been posting on other web sites about this reel ever since it became available for use. BEST DEAL ON THE PLANET. I am unusual in that all of my reels, from 2 pound test to 300 pound test, are all high speed or have been high speeded. With todays rods giving fantastic recoil much of what the angler does is just pull line onto their reels. I do not recall folks pointing their rods at a fish and just winding requiring the need for lower gears.

If you just extend the handle to its longest lenth position you will have more than enough cranking power to spin the drags against its highest setting. My drags were upgraded but I used the ones out of the box until I fried them after catching many very big tuna and wahoo. The extended handle will not hamper your ability to wind in jigs at a rapid rate. If you are not looking to catch larger species of fish on this reel the standard drags will be fine. Great 40# reel. Back it with spectra, short top shots and you are good to go. Mine were all backed with 60# hollow Jerry Brown Spectra and they were fantastic.

This reel is almost bullet proof, casts and retrieves great and is just a fantastic value.

Best of luck in your decision

Jamie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts