Saltist 30

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jojo69, May 17, 2009.

1. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

OK guys I've got two of these reels,that I use for blue fishing and they are Great for that .I was wondering if they would work down here(Texas) for snapper and small grouper and AJ's.I did get the OTI rod from Lordhell and need to put a Saltist 40 on it low gear.I would like to know if it should get the non level wind or the level wind. I would like to know the PRO's and Con's
    of level wind vs non
    Thanks JOJO

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Those reels will work great on snapper and grouper, but the level wind will be the weak point on the reel if you decide to get it. They are great for keeping your line straight but tough on wear and tear from big fish.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah itll work.......i would get non levelwind

4. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

I would like to know if any one has a 40 in low gear that would like to sale it.
    I would also like to know what type of line and topshot to put on it
    Thanks JOJO

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have 65# Jerry Brown solid braid on mine and love it. I don't top shot mine I just use about a 6' leader.

6. jojo69

jojo69 Guest

How do you make the knot to connect the two line?

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I use a spider hitch to double the braid and put a small loop in the leader and tie an albright with a 3 turn uni lock. You can find the link at Powerpro.com

Knots

8. abz400

abz400 Senior Member

what gear is good for snapper and grouper?and also what type of line would you suggest.

9. red34

red34 Guest

How do you make the knot to connect the two line?

I personally like a Bob Sands knot for casting and jigging on mono under 80#. It's designed to slip through guides with little to no resistance. It hasn't been damaged with alot of casting on my spinning setup. 65# spectra to 50# mono.

My saltist 30T has 50# spectra to 50# mono with the same knot.

10. abz400

abz400 Senior Member

i just bought a saltist 40h reel what mono would you suggest on that reel i'm going for snapper,kings and what ever else.