Saltigas

Discussion in 'Reels' started by papio, Sep 5, 2007.

1. papio

papio Senior Member

any Saltigas owners or users happy with their performance? i have a Saltist 40H paired with an OTI 600g but have not seen the saltwater yet but will real soon.

in the mean time, today i stumbled across a brand new Saltiga 40 (4.:91) at Sportman's WareHouse for $299. Cabelas lists them for $429.99. so it's a pretty nice discount what Sportsman is offering for the reel. i was planning on getting an Ocea Jigger 4000P but it will have to wait for now. it's pretty difficult to turn your back on a very good deal. Sportsman got 3 Saltiga 40 in stock and the sale will last till the reels are sold. They have one put aside for me hehehe. appreciate any feedback u jigging pros can give me. Thanks.

jigger for life :)

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Get the reel before someone take it. :)
    I think it is below its cost. Saltiga 40/50 is simply one of the best star drag reels in the market. Frankly I like Saltiga better than my Ocea Jigger 4000P because Saltiga is 3/0 size reel and Ocea Jigger 4000P is 4/0 size reel. It is much convinient to use 3/0 than 4/0.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: I know you have said you prefer the star drag for jigging (although sometimes you do point out the usefullness of the 2-speed reel.) After trying jigging with a 32 ounch spinner, I begin to understand why many people prefer conventional reels, but I don't understand the advantages of the star drag yet, since you don't have low gear and you can't modify the drag as smoothly. I know that so many experts prefer them, there must be real advantages, but I don't really know what they are.

Russ

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil: I know you have said you prefer the star drag for jigging (although sometimes you do point out the usefullness of the 2-speed reel.) After trying jigging with a 32 ounch spinner, I begin to understand why many people prefer conventional reels, but I don't understand the advantages of the star drag yet, since you don't have low gear and you can't modify the drag as smoothly. I know that so many experts prefer them, there must be real advantages, but I don't really know what they are.

Russ
    When you jig both lever drag reel and star drag reel alternatively, you know the reason immediately. A star drag reel is such a convenient. One of the reason I like the Saltiga is the excellent cranking power. It is better than Torsa and better than Trinidad. The gear ratio of 4.9:1 is not low, but the cranking power for its size is amazing.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

thanks ksong. i am happy to say i am the proud owner of the last Saltiga 40 that Sportsman put aside for me. total damage was $324.36. the other two had been sold by the time i claimed mine. manager said the reels were not moving so it was put on sale about a week ago. lucky me.... just happen to stroll in the store.......

concur, star drags reels are more convenient for me because i'm so use to them. i do own two leverdrags both 2-speeds but only use them occassionally.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Not only are the two gone from the Westover location, they have been purchased from their other locations in TX.:) Some people act fast when they see a deal.:)

7. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

MrBill.. you check the one in Lewisville, TX???

8. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I know that man all to well.

See those little :) on post #6.

That means he bought every one in the state!!!!!!!

If he didn't get any, you would see :mad:

He did send me a picture today that had me LMFAO. This probably isn't the right thread to place it in, but I'm to tired to look for another spot.

Attached Files:

9. papio

papio Senior Member

80lb braid with 80lb F/C leader loaded on the Saltiga 40 be okay?

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

When you jig both lever drag reel and star drag reel alternatively, you know the reason immediately. A star drag reel is such a convenient. One of the reason I like the Saltiga is the excellent cranking power. It is better than Torsa and better than Trinidad. The gear ratio of 4.9:1 is not low, but the cranking power for its size is amazing.

Kil: Have you used the Penn Torque? If so, what is your opinion of that reel for jigging?

11. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Kil: Have you used the Penn Torque? If so, what is your opinion of that reel for jigging?

I was going to get one until Penn kept pushing the release back last year, but if you hold one, they are HEAVY

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I used Penn Torque 200 when I jigged big yellowtail (kingfish) in New Zealand trip. The reel is like a small tank. Though the reel is actually heavy reel (29 oz) for its size, I didn't feel it was heavy as it is small 2/0 size reel.
    I was going to test the reel for tuna, but I couldn't move the lever after resting the reel for a month. :eek:

papio,
    You got the one of the finest star drag reels in the market.
    I always use 80 lbs braided line on my Saltiga.

13. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

I notced with my lever drag reels, im always adjusting the drag.
    I check my drag every couple minutes and find that its loose some times
    and tight other times, i think from pushing the lever arm up and down
    after every cast i must hit the knob with my fingers. Does anyone else
    have this problem. This doesent happen with my star drag reels.

14. Tonto

Tonto Guest

I don't know of a better star-drag reel in the same class as a Saltiga. You'd be nuts not to grab the 40 at that price (is the dealer even legally allowed to sell it for that???) I sold all my Trinidad's a couple years ago for a Saltiga 15, 20, and 30T. I've never looked back

80lb braid with 80lb f/c leader on a saltiga??? From a west coast perspective, that sounds loco. The reel will probably do close to 20lbs of drag (if not more; I've never really tested it so I don't know)....but at 4:9.1 gear ratio, where are you gonna get the torque to justify 80lb line-class setup?

I personally wouldn't go over 60lb braid / 40-50lb topshot. But to each his own, eh?

15. Tonto

Tonto Guest

It sounds like something is wrong with your reel. That's an unusual problem you're describing. A key advantage of a lever-drag is better consistency in drag pressure. In fact, once you set it, you shouldn't have to change it (the disadvantage is inferior casting). With a star drag, it's the other way around: better casting, but constant futzing with the drag pressure.

Sounds like you should take your reel in for service.

16. Tonto

Tonto Guest

I notced with my lever drag reels, im always adjusting the drag.
    I check my drag every couple minutes and find that its loose some times
    and tight other times, i think from pushing the lever arm up and down
    after every cast i must hit the knob with my fingers. Does anyone else
    have this problem. This doesent happen with my star drag reels.

It sounds like something is wrong with your reel. That's an unusual problem you're describing. One advantage of a lever-drag is better consistency in drag pressure. In fact, once you set it, you shouldn't have to change it (the disadvantage is inferior casting). With a star drag, it's the other way around: better casting, but constant futzing with the drag pressure.

Sounds like you should take your reel in for service.