Saltiga XXH review

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by sharpshooter, Apr 24, 2009.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Senior Member

I purchased a US Daiwa Saltiga XXH conv. rod about a year ago and because of the recent interest I decided to post a review. The rod is 5'9" and retails for $150. The 270g-330g rating is waaay underated. This rod is rated the same as their 5'11" H rod tested previously in this forum. I think it should have a 500-600g rating. Using OTI 300g jigs would barely load the tip. The tip is fast, not as parabolic as alot of other jigging rods. For comparison, i did the exact same tests with an OTI 600g conv rod. The rods feel completely different and this test does not reveal a couple of things. First, the Saltiga seems to have more backbone, but transfers more weight to the angler. Second, the stiffer tip of the Saltiga would be less forgiving with lighter jigs. The first two pics with the 5lb weight are to demonstrate the difference in the tip action. The top is Saltiga, then OTI. The Third pic is Saltiga with 20lb followed by OTI with 20lb. With the heavier lift, the Saltiga was starting to turn but i wouldnt feel comfortable pushing either rod much harder. I have no doubts that the Saltiga could handle some large fish and is in my opinion the best in its price range. Thus far, the only fish i have caught with it were two 25-30lb AJs and a 20lb Snapper. The Saltiga wooped them pretty quickly. this is my first review of a product and i am open to suggestions for the future. No there were nt any camera tricks. the Saltiga is 5'9", the OTI is 5'6" and i'm 5'2". Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

2. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Nice write up, thanks. The rod looks great.

3. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Thanks for the review. How do you like the handles of the two rods? I felt the Saltiga trianglular handle was kinda strange and didn't like it too much when I tried it before.

4. sharpshooter

Are you talking about the "Powerlift Handles" triangular shaped foregrip? the Saltiga jigging rods dont have them. those are on the Daiwa saltist and sealine boat rods. these foregrips are relatively small and round. i didnt think i would like the bulky grips of the OTI in comparison, but they do a good job of distributing the weight in your hand. Minnow told me the smaller grips will feel better, but when fighting a big fish, larger grip is nice.

5. fishingduck

fishingduck Member

Yes, I was confused the models. Thanks for the clarification. I do like smaller grip, less fatigue for me.

6. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Is that a trampoline? Please tell me you have a significant other living with you, lol.

Question on the butt grip length - how long is it? IT seems to me that it's a little too long for you to comfortably reach the reel handle? Pictures are decieving, that's why I'm asking.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Is that a trampoline? Please tell me you have a significant other living with you, lol.

Question on the butt grip length - how long is it? IT seems to me that it's a little too long for you to comfortably reach the reel handle? Pictures are decieving, that's why I'm asking.

Billy

I always do my lifts on a trampoline, it represents a rocking boat. You dont? LOL:D

d-a

8. sharpshooter

Yea. its a trampoline. my wife uses it for some exercise video she has. ive got my toys, she has hers :) . the butt is kinda long for me, but would be about right on an average size guy. like i said, im 5'2". ill measure it compared to the oti when i get home and let you know.

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

The rear grip was a little long on my 5'11". The easy $2 fix was to cut off the plastic gimble right at the top of it, trim back the foam and epoxy on one of these wonderful little rubber gimbals. I will switch all my jiggers to these gimbles eventually, because they really are comfortable and versatile to me.

This is a cross section of the butt of the 5'11 blank

[​IMG]

This is the new gimble.

[​IMG]

PS...One day I tried to break the 5'11" on an unstoppable sea monster and couldn't break it. Although the guides had spun all the way around and over, it never gave out.

10. sharpshooter

the butt length on the Saltiga is identical to the OTI. 18" from bottom of gimble to reel seat.