Saltiga Surf Vs Saltiga Blast

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rebel, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rebel

rebel Senior Member

Both models cost exactly the same price. The Surf model got more line capacity & higher max drag (33 lbs vs 22 lbs for the Blast)

Which one you recommend for 50-100 lbs Tuna & GT? Which one has a longer cast ability?

Thanx.

2. rebel

rebel Senior Member

It seems no 1 tried the Saltiga Surf before!!???

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

It seems no 1 tried the Saltiga Surf before!!???

Well, I think you'll find the majority of folks here are offshore big game fishermen. It makes no sense for them to purchase a $400 reel designed for surf fishing to use on big game fishing offshore. It only makes sense if they were REALLY into surf fishing. Maybe you ought to ask around a forum with more surf fishermen and see. If you are looking to get a reel that can bust up the fish you are talking about, just pony up the money for a Stella FA or SW or the Saltiga SA-Z. It's simple, you don't gotta beat your head in too much about these things my friend. ;)

4. rebel

rebel Senior Member

I'm a bit confused now!! Daiwa Saltiga surf model has a much higher max drag @ 33 lbs compared to 22 for the Saltiga Blast and the same max drag of the flagship Daiwa Saltiga SA-Z6000 @33lbs!! It even holds much more line than all other Saltigas, so whats the con of using it offshore?

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'm a bit confused now!! Daiwa Saltiga surf model has a much higher max drag @ 33 lbs compared to 22 for the Saltiga Blast and the same max drag of the flagship Daiwa Saltiga SA-Z6000 @33lbs!! It even holds much more line than all other Saltigas, so whats the con of using it offshore?

There probably isn't a con to it, I'm sure you can use it offshore. I was suggesting that you just get the SA-Z's or Stellas instead of mulling over the Saltiga Surf vs Saltiga SA-Z or Stella FA cause they are proven spinning models.

You can find deals on ebay and on the for sale section of this forum for SA-Zs and Stella FAs that are reasonably close to the price of a new Saltiga Surf, just keep checking ebay and pay attention to the trading section on here.

Good luck dude!

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

surf reels are not designed for high drag use. the spool comes out very far from the spool shaft. im sure you can catch a few nice size fish but eventually the shaft will bend and the spool will lock up on you. ive used plenty of surf reels and the long rods take alot of the pressure. also using lighter lines. tuna rods have alot of power and the surf reels will fail. the saltiga surf is an excellent reel no doubt, but i would fish it the way it was intended for.