Saltiga jigging rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by New Kent Newbie, Apr 21, 2009.

1. New Kent Newbie

New Kent Newbie Junior member

Has anyone used these? Just picked up a 6' meadium heavy and a 5'11" heavy for 2 sphersos 12ks that i have. Seem like a good deal for the money.

2. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

NOt bad but check the guides i bought the conventional and had to add some epoxy to a few.They are a good mid size fish fishing rod

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i have the saltiga 55s expedition rod 5'6" and love it. foreign model. absolute favorite jigging rod i own. light as a hots wei world and incredibly strong. caught a couple 100lb amberjacks on it with no problems. havent seen the american versions so i dont have any input on those.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Brian, you have too many toys man... :p

5. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

One can NEVER have too many toys!!!!

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

There are a couple of posts on here about the US Saltigas... I have 5'11" Heavy that is now cut to 5'3". The blanks are Really Nice. Very thin diameter and thick-wall with really nice action and good backbone.

As mentioned, the epoxy on the guides when I got mine was crap. Hopefully they've corrected this by now. Try to wiggle striper guide to see if it moves. Mine did. But I still fished it without failure several times. Rest of contruction is very good and I still really like this rod.

Overall a good deal and think you'll like them. If I had to buy another rod and couldn't spend over $130 these would still be top of the list. (You'd have a tough time buying the parts for cost of these rods.)

But they're not in the same league as OTI. And for $200 you can get 300g version on TackleDirect.com right now.:eek:

7. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Jason did you strip the blank and start over or just remove some from both ends?

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Removed all length from butt end. I removed grips, reel seat, stripper and the top wrap only on 2nd guide. Then reinstalled stripper where 2nd guide was. Rod started life as 20-16-16-12-12...12T, now it's 20-16-12-12...12T. Grips and reelseat will go back on from the bottom - not fun, but doable.

I really like the relatively soft tip on this rod for <300g and didn't want to mess with it. And I figured I shouldn't have issues cutting from bottom since it's fast action and shuts down quick anyway.

I like short rods and to me the layout is just right now, much better balance and better grip lengths for me. It isn't too tough to do but I've been working on other stuff.... I'll post pix when done.