Saltiga GT model

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Enoch, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I know we are all stella lovers here but I decided to go against the grain and consider a Saltiga GT model for popping.

It's come down to a 10000FA or the Daiwa Saltiga GT reel. Does anyone know the size line up for the GT that would compare to the 10000FA?

Any experience with this high speed reel? I hear great things, but have been a shimano guy for years... :confused:

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Will be Dogfight.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Will be Dogfight.

i was looking at the dogfight too, however there is a pretty good market for used GT models where i'm at...

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

6000GT... Beautiful reel. Very powerful.

5. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I picked up a 6500 dogfight. Looks and feels great but I haven't used it yet

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

6000gt is an awesome reel. the dogfight will get you a little more line but not much more. good choice btw.

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm still contemplating which on which reel i should use for main jigging. So I'm in the market for 3 additional setups by april. One conventional and two spinning.

I am just starting out with one season of tuna under my belt. And I'm taking everyones advice seriously. If you guys had to do it over again would it be shimano everything or would there be some Daiwa mixed in?

8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thats a good deal!

10. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I would jump on that if i didnt have to buy some new tires for my p.o.s. car.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm still contemplating which on which reel i should use for main jigging. So I'm in the market for 3 additional setups by april. One conventional and two spinning.

I am just starting out with one season of tuna under my belt. And I'm taking everyones advice seriously. If you guys had to do it over again would it be shimano everything or would there be some Daiwa mixed in?

Stellas and Saltiga are both good reels. You get what you need depending on your application.

12. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

if your using for jigging i would go with the 6000 or 6500 expedition model. popping 6000gt of 6500 dogfight.

13. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

oh man, that black dog fight would look amazing (and perform amazing) on the new tuna sniper rods... talk about beautiful...

:eek:

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Stellas and Saltiga are both good reels. You get what you need depending on your application.

How is the customer service/repair for daiwa saltigas compared to shimano?

I havent a issue with shimanos...even the FA's just because it probably will be another 10 years before parts become hard to find.

I have heard great things about the saltigas. I may go as far as the Japanese market to pick one up.

15. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

I have both and like the Daiwa better.

16. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

oh man, that black dog fight would look amazing (and perform amazing) on the new tuna sniper rods... talk about beautiful...

:eek:

Mmmmmmm. That does sound like a good combo.

17. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

SO there are still some diawa fans out there!

18. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

yea I guess you can say that. Knowing that both brands have great quality reels It may just come down to a 20k, the GT and a Ocea Jigger.

The 3 setups will probably be trading time on 2 charters this summer... Screamin' Mimi and Reel Therapy.

I met Edwin of Reel Therapy in a West marine shop. He and I were both waiting feverishly for April to come about and end up trading stories of fishing all over the world. Of course he had more experience being that his family has had the charters for almost 3 generations.
    Another goal would be to hit up a trip with the guys from my area in Philadelphia and into New Jersey where I work. That would take some planning but it would be nice to put a face to a name.

Anyhow, another question...
    my japanese friend tells me that the GT model is the older version of what is now the dogfight. He mentioned that eventually it will be replaced by the dogfight and Daiwa plans to release a few more popping style reels to the us market. I'm not sure how much of it is coming up within the next year but I may decide to wait on the new GT or dogfight models.

Kidflex, I did consider the expedition model however I think if i'm buying for application the "one-reel-for-many-applications" idea would be replaced. I haven't seen that reel but for some reason the dark blue doesn't appeal to me.