Saltiga expedition drag sound?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tmd, Feb 27, 2009.

1. tmd

tmd Large Member

i checked a new expedition at a shop today and i noticed some thing. when i turned the spool to listen to the drag clicking, it was fine for half a turn then for the other half of the turn it was very quiet almost silent. i tried again and it was obvious that the drag sounds normal for half a turn, then the sound goes down so much you can hardly hear a screech if you put your ear next to the reel. the guy told me it was normal and that all saltigas do this. is this right?

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i will check for you in the morning. i do remember the spool having a fairly quiet sound when turned.

3. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I have a Saltiga Dogfight and it does not do what you are describing. When I turn the spool, I hear a consistent clicking sound. I tightened and loosened the drag and got the same result, a consistent clicking sound.

The Dogfight and the Expedition is the same reel. The only difference between them is that the Dogfight has a higher gear ratio and a different paint job.

I don't know what it could be. You might need to remove the spool and have a look.

Kidflex should post his results as soon as he gets up.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

my expedition, 6000, and 6000gt all make constant noise when the spool turns. even on the lightest drag settings