Ideal Popping reel size for New England

• 18000H

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 14000XH

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
i am getting the 18K with a spare 20K spool. have also been going back and forth with the 14k. But have decided to get the 18k (and 20K spool) so i can catch anything. if later i find it really is too big to keep using i will get rid of it for a 14K.
What did you end up doing?

· Registered
5 Posts
I agree with you on the looks. Everyone says what a stunning looking reel, but to be honest i think it looks a bit gaudy and tacky myself with all that gold bling and metal flake, But cant argue with its performance, one h&ll of a reel.

Maybe get a custom rod , dark blue (same colour as saltiga) with gold thread... may actually look pretty good then

I really wanted to get the van Staal VSX 250 Bailed (stunning looking piece of machinery) but the drag is a problem, they are just no where up to the standard they should be for such a high end reel. I was thinking to try putting greased carbontex drag washers in and see if that helps at all.

i actually fish low butt style (see link below) so the weight of the 18k is not an issue..

· Registered
5 Posts
It is possible to service the magseal. Have to buy after market mag oil tho. Is not rocket science. Just have to make sure get right type of mag oil. Is used in many applications. The manufacturers can discuss which is the correct one for this application.
I am pretty sure Daiwa doesn't make the oil themselves.
Wow, that’s a pretty interesting reel setup. Kinda like a fly rod. I‘m a lefty and I tried for years to get a right hand VSX but only managed to finally get one in a VR. It’s a decent enough reel but yes, the drag can be a little sticky. I was eyeballing the Certate SW as well since it’s basically the same as a Saltiga except for the rotor, and in my opinion, a better handle. I’m not a fan of the MagSeal though. I’m sure it works well enough but I do like to service my own reels and it’s just not possible now. I’m still watching that 14K though.
This may interest you...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts