Ideal Popping reel size for New England

• 18000H

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 14000XH

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
I would stay with the 18, you can not control the size of the fish but you can be better prepared for the bigger fish when it happens. When you get more experience you may want to start messing around with different class set ups but for now you might want the added security of the 18. The weight doesn't bother me and I fish mainly east of the Cape and there is always the chance of something 200lb plus so I run all 20k or VS 275's and I love em.

For what its worth I also use Basil and would recommend him without a doubt. I do however spend a lot of time at the Goose, great guys always willing to talk fish.

· Registered
7 Posts
I keep thinking I need some 18k’s for smaller tuna but I can not justify the price when I feel the 20k gives me more versatility as far as fish size goes. Off the Cape we can hook into giants at any point so I like to be on the safer side. I do know guys that have been spooled on a 20k class reels and one that had the reel lock up it was getting stripped so fast.
I say fish until you feel like you have to get something different. When you can’t take it anymore then you’ll know what you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts