Salt proof Camera Case

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Niloticus1, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Niloticus1

Niloticus1 Member

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a camera case for a Fuji XT2 for use in a saltwater environment (for tropical fishing shots while on a boat or on the rocks). It will be inside an Ortlieb zip backpack, so the fully waterproof cases are going to be overkill and too slow.

I've been using ThinkTank Digital Holsters for the last few years but my most recent one, for an XT1, reacted badly to other metal on the camera/strap and the metal zipper has totally clogged up in a white, powdery mess.

I might try and resurrect it and coat the zipper in coconut oil or vaseline, but I'd be interested to know what other people use.

Cheers

Dave

2. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

I use an HPA Pad Pack www.hpaus.com and I put the pad pack inside an HPA HD 40 Dry Bag. Another suggestion would be to use your existing soft bag whatever brand it is and put that inside a HPA waterproof canoe style bag like the clear Swell 20 or Swell 30. I like the Swell bags are they are clear (you can see whats inside) and they are very lightweight and inexpensive

3. Oberyn Martell

Oberyn Martell Member

There is no cure for saltwater particles settling on any given surface .
    Only solution is, a lot of freshwater rinse / soak, and afterward saltwater antideposist treatments, search as salt-away spray ect.
    Zippers are magnets to salt crystals as any other porous surfaces .