360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the invite from my buddy Freddy to join him and two others on his 22' CC Parker to chase Salmon which have been on the crew for the last two weeks.

Splashed at Richmond Marina 0500 and were over Duxburry Reef about an hour later with a sizable fleet of everything from commercial stick boats, charters, and private guys too.

Weather wasn't ideal put tolerable, lot's of wind and wind chop waves.

We trolled around the reef for about 45 minutes without any action. One of the guys on the boat deck hands for one of the local charters, he got a phone call telling us to move south to north buoy and find the fleet.

We were still setting up our downrigger rods when the two cannon ball release rods hooked up with a double. Both were landed and they were quality fish but sub pounders.

About an hour later we had another single and 45 minutes after that another one. Not as big as the first two but over 12 pounds.

Bait of the day was crowbar rigged Herring in the 5 inch class. I was stubborn and used a Watermelon Apex for most of the day. Soon as I took it off and went with the Herring I hooked up for the last fish of the day.

We were fishing 35-60 foot depths with the sweet spot being around 45-50 foot.

Judging by all the nets flying around us the other boats seemed to be doing well too.

We didn't limit but given the conditions we did alright.

·
5,153 Posts
Got the invite from my buddy Freddy to join him and two others on his 22' CC Parker to chase Salmon which have been on the crew for the last two weeks.

Splashed at Richmond Marina 0500 and were over Duxburry Reef about an hour later with a sizable fleet of everything from commercial stick boats, charters, and private guys too.

Weather wasn't ideal put tolerable, lot's of wind and wind chop waves.

We trolled around the reef for about 45 minutes without any action. One of the guys on the boat deck hands for one of the local charters, he got a phone call telling us to move south to north buoy and find the fleet.

We were still setting up our downrigger rods when the two cannon ball release rods hooked up with a double. Both were landed and they were quality fish but sub pounders.

About an hour later we had another single and 45 minutes after that another one. Not as big as the first two but over 12 pounds.

Bait of the day was crowbar rigged Herring in the 5 inch class. I was stubborn and used a Watermelon Apex for most of the day. Soon as I took it off and went with the Herring I hooked up for the last fish of the day.

We were fishing 35-60 foot depths with the sweet spot being around 45-50 foot.

Judging by all the nets flying around us the other boats seemed to be doing well too.

We didn't limit but given the conditions we did alright. View attachment 119309 View attachment 119310 View attachment 119311 View attachment 119312
What is a commercial stick boat for salmon?
On the right coast, stick boats are harpoon boats.

What is a pounder?
Fish over 10 pounds?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HungryJack,

I must have been speed typing, I meant "sub 20 pounders". Left out the 20, must have been the smoke coming off my fingers.

On the left coast we call commercial boats with outriggers "stick boats". For Salmon they long line off each side but they can also deploy nets for other species.

·
5,153 Posts
Curious, you ever get stripers as by catch when trolling or jigging for salmon?

The boat above looks like a salmon trolling boat.
It actually has no ability to set or haul nets,
not designed for it.
No net reel, no block to haul the net,
rear canopy and downrigger setups in the way of net fishing activities.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never caught a Striper as a by catch while trolling for Salmon.

I have caught Halibut and Rock Fish though.

Only time I have caught a ocean Striper is off the beach casting into the surf. Bay and Delta is a different story, hard to keep the little ones off either on the troll casting lures or bait.

From what I can tell "our" commercial fishermen rig there boats to the season, Salmon, Crab, Anchovies, ect.

I'm not an expert though.

·
5,153 Posts
You guys still trolling J Plugs for salmon ?
Or something else has taken its place.

Boat above is using what is called a Beam Trawl.
They are swung back along the sides of the boat
to empty. Which requires a open back deck to accomplish.
The awning on the first boat prevents that.

Also, the sticks or outriggers on the first boat
are mounted at DECK LEVEL,
boat above have them mounted high, on wheelhouse roof,
to facilitate getting the gear on/off the boat to fish/empty.
The first boat lacks that ability with deck mounted ones.
You can also see the difference in sturdiness between the two
sets of outriggers. One was designed to handle some weight,
the other far less.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HungryJack,

I know what a J Plug is and to be honest "I" don't use them anywhere.

However local people in the rivers do to catch Salmon.

I, and most of my friends don't harass Salmon in the river, we have the invasive Strippers to do that. We "collective we" want to give the Salmon as good a chance as we can to breed in the rivers, creeks and hatcheries as we can.

I know, I sound like a "California Tree Hugger..." Farthest thing from the truth but Strippers are ruining the eco system here and need to be controlled.

Hatchery Salmon Fry are dropped into the Bay (pretty much between Benica and Fort Baker) rather than the native rivers to get past the juvenile Stripper gauntlet in the river/delta system.

I LEGALLY kill every Stripper I catch. They don't belong here and with Florida Strain Bass in the Delta they are wrecking balls on the indigenous Salmon fry.

In the ocean I troll an Apex artificial for Salmon. Watermelon is my go to pattern.

As for the commercial Stick Boats on the west coast, I'm not an expert.

Are you a commercial fisherman retired or otherwise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been a decent bite up her in the North as well. I've been starting to target Cali Hali as Im getting tired of the pink already....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went out again today BillyGoat, was too rough for my friend so we had to call it early.

But not before catching a 12 or so pounder 10 miles due west of the Golden Gate.

Saw lots of nets flying but didn't see anything big go over the rails.

Where is "Up North"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts