S&G / Sumo "Chrome Banana" Jigs

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by SteelingHeads, Oct 24, 2008.

1. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Hey Guys! Just wondering if anyone in the group uses the old S&G jigs (if they even still have one) or the Sumo "Chrome Banana" jig. I like the look of them, but have not had the opportunity to try them out for Tuna yet. Thanks Fella's!

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

those look good. they are pretty hard to come by now. i think they still have them on boatersworld.com site, dont know if there in stock though.

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I thought charkbait sold them too?

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i remember when charkbait had them. thats where i first saw them. i couldnt find them there anymore. i might call and ask cuz i wouldnt mind having a dozen or so of those jigs.

5. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

My experience with sumo crome bannana jigs. 4th of july trip I tried one deep,400'+ and got a huge hit. The fish hit so hard it smoked a half spool on avet hx before the hook bent. Next trip I replaced hook with jobu 9/0 figuring iv'e got a new secret wepon. deep jigging again and another big hit! This time the jig broke off near the end, no thru wire! I still have some sitting on the shelf, they will stay there.

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

interesting fathom. might have just save me a few bucks! sumo tackle usually makes pretty solid stuff. better to be safe than sorry since this is the only "review" of this product ive seen.

7. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. So what I take away from this is....Great action, poor construction...

8. turfman

turfman Member

I have caught 3 or 4 yft's on them. I think I have 6, 8, and 12 ouncers.

I know some guys use them here in the north east for cod also.

I'm looking at my D6 now and I never replaced the hook on it; so it lasted for a couple fish ?