Rumor, not confirmed

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Snagged, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Heard a rumor that a long range boat is coming to the coast, either Galveston or Huston.
    Anybody else heard of this?

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

We can only hope!!!!!!!!!

3. Pope

Pope Senior Member

When you say long range, do you mean SD style?

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Thats would be cool to have a charter like the rooster boat thing out of SD. If its ust 80hrs, we areadly got that in Pt A, but 10days fishing the GOM would be bliss.

Kevin

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

When you say long range, do you mean SD style?

Yes, seven to ten day trips.

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

wheres huston?? lol.. That would sure be fun.... trip from huston or galveston to the canyons and lump off LA....... 5-7 day... WOW! Sure would be better than this cruise I am about to go on( damn boat moves too fast to troll off of).. Its freakin amazing how fast those cruise ships move.. 2 years ago the Rhapsody of the Seas(Royal Carribbean) was moving 25+knots!!! With NO WAKE!!! Theres some complex engineering in those boats.. Sure hope the long range boat has some speed behind it. Those projected floaters 200+ miles out will be some prime time targets for long rangers.. Simply Awesome!! Maybe the gulf will start seeing some Bluefin brought home.

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Hey Ronnie,

How those cruise ships (and aircraft carriers for that matter) get up to speed is based on a simple equation:

(LWL^.5)*1.34 = max speed in knots

Max speed of any displacement hull increases with it's lenght at waterline, longer the boat the faster it can go.

Snagged,

What on earth would a 7-10 day trip in the GOM be doing? Heard any suggested float plans?

8. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

PLEASE SAY SOMEBODY HAS INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I wonder if this would be a new operator or an existing one. If new, they would have a tough time getting a reef fish permit and the market is looking poor there anyway. I guess it would be pure pelagic expeditions. Does anyone know if Mexico issues permits to American boats to fish there waters in the GOM? I would like to fish some of the islands along the Campeche Bank.

10. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Does anyone know if Mexico issues permits to American boats to fish there waters in the GOM?

Yes.

11. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Seven to ten days? That will get you anywhere in the Gulf and back. That could concievably get you to the Yucatan and back I would think, and probably the Dry Tortugas and such. Great possibilities!

It'll be interesting if this comes to pass, and even more interesting to see what species they will target, and how.

DBG

12. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Completely offhand, but does anyone else think that if Dolphin Docks replaced the dolphin with a fast modern boat, they would be in high competition with Capt Elliots?

Kevin

13. SkeeterRonnie

no. but they would be in closer competition with Deep Sea Headquarters. both DD and DSH will remain in business because of the price gouging by the Big E.

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I think the reason the Big E raised their prices is the fact that they cancel so many trips. That must be a mess re-scheduling all those cancelled trips.

They like that big mother to go out on glass days so the spray never hits the Capt's windshield. That would cause the deckhands a little extra time hosing the boat down after the trip. They don't want those loin gaffting deckhands to get overtime.

15. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

I always wonder why they cancel the trips anything bigger than 7's. I mean the dolphin is 80ft and pretty skinny, and handles 7' easy. Why dont they go out in more? The boat is what 140'>?

I dont understand capt. elliots, was hoping to go on one of their trips this year, but for 650, I would rather go on an 80hr with DD's and spend the 150 on tackle.

Kevin

16. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

IF another boat does come, I hope it's laid out like the SD boats. They have 1/2 the upper deck of the Big E which gives you more casting space at the stern. They have plenty of casting space at the bow, and none (that I've seen) have a pulpit. Finally, maybe get bigger bait tanks.

17. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Ya from pics Ive seen the SD boats are just 25% bow 75% stern fishing, no really any on the sides. Thats would be the way to go, allowing for a good cabin area also, because 7days. is a long time.

Kevin

18. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

most if not all of the san diego fleet are slower than molasses in january. the big e is 133ft total length and 26ft beam. due to their policy concerning turn arounds i think that if the seas are going to be questionable they will not venture out. being a boat owner and having made the wrong decision a few times i can understand why they make the calls they do. with out all the storage on the upper deck we would have to curtail what would be brought onboard even more than it is now. i can handle pretty rough seas but once they kick up its not a pleasant experience watching those poor souls heaving their guts out. also it is very easy for some one to lose their balance and hurt themselves. these trip are about having a great time and catching some awesome fish not about survival....rick

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

SC,
    If it comes I think DBG has the answer. Get your passport if it show up.

MrBill,
    Elliot's must consider potential lawsuits when operating that boat. Another factor is that it cost a bunch to run that boat out as ways, come back and refund the clients money. Can you picture negative cash flow? That boat can make more money as a workboat instead of a charter/headboat. One lawsuit could put them out of this business so I can understand their about sea conditions.

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I fully understand insurance and lawsuits. Does the Big E make you sign a wavier before boarding? I'm sure they do. I sign about 10 waivers a year because of outdoor activities. Both fishing and hunting communities try their best to cover their arse. Can't blame them. If you don't sign the wavier, you don't get to board the boat or pull out a gun. I even sign waivers when boarding private boats and hunting on private ranches. It's been that way for about 15 years.

I've only sued one person in my life and that was to collect on a bad debt. Unfortunately, there are people out there that live for a mishap. There's to many lawyers right now. If we could only pass a law that would put a lawyer tag on our hunting license. Being able to bag one lawyer a year would be real nice and maybe the Big E would be able to fish more.

21. SkeeterRonnie

shhoooot yeah! Lawyers tags... I would actually start buying my hunting license again!!! I like signing the waivers, thats why I pay for my personal insurance.. all they need to do is put us on the fish... I will worry about pullling my owns hooks out of my leg/ Push it thru with some pliers. pour some whiskey on it, a couple paper toweels and some duct tape... ready to go- oh yeah... and a shot o' whiskey for me!!! WHOA!! Can almost feel the burn! A good cuban cigar would be quite helpful as well.