rubber swim baits

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tbuckshot, Apr 27, 2008.

1. tbuckshot

tbuckshot Guest

I picked up some rubber swim baits at the CC boat show from a guy (mikewoodlands at Grandads Fishing Tackle from Spring, TX.) that said he had great success with them on the Big E for yellowfin. They have a mackeral shape (one is spanmack color) and a bladed weight inside the head and no swim tail so they can be cranked faster. I think I saw some guys catching fish on these during my last trip. Has anyone used them? Results? The bright blue back looks just like a flying fish.
    http://www.360tuna.com/gallery/.gldata/1/1/3/7/swimbaits031.JPG

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

They work well.

3. tbuckshot

tbuckshot Guest

have you thrown these particular ones, Jerry? If so, do you get any tail action out of them as they swim? Also, have you thrown the smaller ones? I got them primarily to use as a slide bait on the San Diego LR trips (if I ever SEE an albacore again!).

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I've thrown the large blue, I can't tell you how much action it was producing as something ate it within the first twenty feet of retreive.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

How substantial are the hooks on those? I picked up some big Storms, some with only a single hook coming out of the inside lead jig, and the others with no paddle tail but a metal spinner on the back and a dinky treble hook, which I traded out for Owner ST66 2/0 s. I question whether the Storm single hooks will hold up to much drag.

Russ

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

7. tbuckshot

tbuckshot Guest

Looks like the same hook that I've caught a hundred albacore on using the swim tail baits like big hammers and fish traps. They sell lead heads with the hook specifically for tuna. The problem is we usually throw them on 30# line. I believe they would hold up to around 15# of drag, but if you start putting monster pressure on them I am sure they could bend out.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I just bought 6 of the damned things. Now, I have always subscribed to the theory that it isn't whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame that counts. And, like our three current candidates for President, there is no way any failure on my part could be my fault. So, if no fish hits these, or, in the alternative, if I do get bit, but the hook breaks or pulls out, I intend to hold not only Mike, but you, Snagged, personally responsible. And, what the hell, I'll also plan to sue d-a and tbuckshot just for having posted on the thread! So, after the Big E trip in early July, you may all want to forward me the addresses of your registered agents for service of process, just to speed things up!

Russ

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I just bought 6 of the damned things. Now, I have always subscribed to the theory that it isn't whether you win or lose, but how you place the blame that counts. And, like our three current candidates for President, there is no way any failure on my part could be my fault. So, if no fish hits these, or, in the alternative, if I do get bit, but the hook breaks or pulls out, I intend to hold not only Mike, but you, Snagged, personally responsible. And, what the hell, I'll also plan to sue d-a and tbuckshot just for having posted on the thread! So, after the Big E trip in early July, you may all want to forward me the addresses of your registered agents for service of process, just to speed things up!

Russ

Russ,
    I don't have a job or own anything other than my clothing :D . (That is the truth, the trust has things.)
    Now just remember what happened to the last guy who put lawyers to bothering Family members.:eek:

10. jig

jig Senior Member

I have caught YFT on the granddads bait. His son chris passed some out on one of our Big E trips last year. I had one large and two small. I landed two YFT on the large, then lost it. They were big fish, and I fish about 20# of drag. I landed a few more on one of the small, and then lost it too. I still have one small left. I won't hesitate to tie it on first next time out.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Snagged: I give you my Clintonian promise: I would never hire a lawyer to harrass anyone--not once--not one time! I would do it myself. And Hmmmmm, I guess it depends on the trust. :) By the way, I don't know what you are referring to? What happened?

I was thinking of naming a sum like 50 million--can't remember what the guy in D.C. was going for over his lost pants at the cleaners. I'm figuring pain and suffering here as well as treble damages. (I'll bet Rick reads this and when I drive through Oklahoma, won't sell me a cup of coffee over the freezing point.) :D

I don't care much for the legal profession, even though in theory I are one. (Although some damned fine people are lawyers.) In my defense, I have been inactive for over 20 years, except that I am reactivating just in case I decide I want to make a few bucks after retirement. Back when I was in law school, there was a case in which some woman sued--I think it was the City of San Francisco--for damages. She was involved in a collision while riding on a streecar. No physical injuries, but she claimed that she was faithful to her husband until the crash, after which she had intercourse with over 100 men (I would guess the odds are that Gunsmoke was among them.) When somebody brought this case up in class, the professor said he knew about it but could not remember the "style" (name) of the case. The only woman in our class back in those days stood up and said: "I think it was called 'A Streetcar Named Desire.' "

Jig: Thanks. Exactly what I was hoping for. Now I'll add you to the liability list if'n I don't catch nothin. :)

Russ

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Russ

UR

If you catch one or more tuna on said swimbaits then you will have to pay a finders fee for me posting the link for you. I do take payment in Shubuki's, swim baits, plus the occasional popper.:cool:

d-a

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

d-a: Old Uncle Russ got your swimbait right here, Son! :(

Mercy. I re-read this thread and have been contemplating how easily it is for me to hijack a perfectly good and meaningful thread about fishing and turn it into pure raving garbage in a couple of minutes. If I were somebody else, I would flame myself. :eek:

Russ

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ,
    I'll give you a hint, I'm of Italian decent and ALL Italian shoemakers have a cement mixer in the backyard.:D

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

OK, now I get it:

"You know you should have come to me first--I don't know when you came to my home. You never asked me to come to your home--to meet your family. But now you come to me saying 'Godfather, Godfather...I need your help...."

If I get you right, Snagged, your lawyer is an Irish guy named Tom. So forget everything I said. I will consider this thread an offer I can't refuse. I plan to check my horses every evening and only let my Aggie neighbor start my car. (No, no, Gunsmoke, I didn't mean that either.)

Russ

Russ

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

It'll happen when you put the key in your front door. :D