Rough Seas Once Again

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by MrBill, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Got the living crap knocked out of me again this weekend. I think the weather gods hate me. My knees are the size of footballs right now. I've having trouble walking. My knees were the exact height of the gunnel of a 31 Bertram. Not good when bottom fishing in 6-8s. Spreading my legs apart all day long just to get a wide stance helped, but I also found myself with my ribs and stomach on top of the transom many times. I was laughed at many times as I was almost in the drink until being grabbed by my feet a few times.

Friday was one of the best snapper fishing trips I've ever experienced. It took five hours to find them in strong winds and seas, but once we did, it was one after. They were big suckers. It was fun as we were a long way from port but still in state waters. Releasing 20 to 28 inch snappers was fun. Since the water was shallow, they swam right back down to bite again. I don't think we kept a snapper under 10 pounds. Also caught some ling, and grouper.

Saturday around 10:30am the winds picked up to 25 to 40 knots depending on which thunderstorm came over you. I busted my "crushproof" camera that was in my pocket when I was thrown into a fiberglass wall. They shouldn't bill those cameras as crushproof for guys like me. It looks like someone hit it with a hammer. Oh well, I hope to sleep good tonight as I am very sore and exhausted. Here's a few pics.

Attached Files:

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Looks like you need to sign up on the Big E for this weeks 72 hour.

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

blue water must be in pretty close. nice fish. too bad about the weather.

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Nice report.. you have been brutalized by the weather this year. I can assure you that getting your ass handed to you by heavy seas is better than redoing duct work in an attic...

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Thanks for the pics....nice fish!

Take care of the knees....

6. awesum

awesum Senior Member

Friday was one of the best snapper fishing trips I've ever experienced. It took five hours to find them in strong winds and seas, but once we did, it was one after. They were big suckers. It was fun as we were a long way from port but still in state waters. Releasing 20 to 28 inch snappers was fun. Since the water was shallow, they swam right back down to bite again. I don't think we kept a snapper under 10 pounds.

Dr. Crabtree won't like this. And it's nice nice to fool with Dr. Crabtree ;)

Nice going.

Yes, we need Mr. Bill and Hyperman on the trip Thursday.:D

7. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Mr Bill
    I changed my avatar you can have my old one. Sorry to hear about the rough seas. Good eats though.

Attached Files:

• 1521.jpg
      1521.jpg
      File size:
      11.2 KB
      Views:
  8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That cloud in the sky pretty much sums up the weather on all my fishing trips the last few years. We knew it was going to be rough. Capt told me that was the roughest seas he had ever fished in a 31' boat. Real nice guy. I'll fish with him again.

I never saw a single boat Friday from the time we broke the jetties till we returned to the harbor. I saw two boats on Saturday. That's it. Next time I fish on a boat with a low gunnel, I'm wearing knee pads. I had to wear shorts today. I couldn't get long pants on over the swollen knees.

As usual, ice was melting away in coolers. I took down 300 pounds, and bought another 240 while there for three days. That was just for me. I didn't even take any on the boats as it was provided. Always plan ahead for ice this time of year.

9. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Great job Bill and it sounds like it's time to soak that body in some Epsom salt and relax haha :)

10. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

hey mr bill what was the name of that 31 bertram?

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

hey mr bill what was the name of that 31 bertram?

"Bad for Knees"

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

In other words, if we want to get our knees hurt, we're going to have to do our own research. :D

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I can finally walk fine today without limping. That's the first time I've ever had my knees smashed against the gunnel for a few hours. I've fished on 31 Bertram's many many times in many Ports. I caught a 645lb Black Marlin on a 31 Bertram at the Gordo Bank about 20 years ago. I've just never bottom fished in rough seas on one. I'm normally a 90% troll guy, 10% bottom fishing. Now that I've been enjoying this new jigging trend, more of my time will be spent drifting. I'll just bring some knee pads if seas are predicted to be over 6 feet.

The 31 Bertram is probably the most recognized boat in fishing Ports throughout the world. It's a classic. For it's size it's a war wagon. It might be a little wet but it can cut through the seas really well. They laid the fiberglass around 2 1/2" thick on the hulls. Now, you're lucky to get a half inch. It's the perfect charter boat for a four pack. You will still see these classic boats fishing the ports 50 years from now. They are built like a brick chithouse. It's a shame they don't make fiberglass boats with thick hulls any more. I've always liked the ride of a heavy hull.

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I'll tell you a secret, MrBill--I'm packing a pair of knee pads to bring along on the Big E. Only being from Austin, I don't publicize that fact, if you get my drift--I might never get past the City Limits.

Russ

15. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Mr Bill, that is your best avatar, EVER!!!!!
    -Brian

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I'll tell you a secret, MrBill--I'm packing a pair of knee pads to bring along on the Big E. Only being from Austin, I don't publicize that fact, if you get my drift--I might never get past the City Limits.

Russ

Russ,
    Don't kneepads come with your job? :D

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

8/4/08

I was expecting 3 footers today. What a joke. Left at 4:45am and was greeted with 5 foot seas. By the time the sun started to rise, the wind was blowing harder and seas were 6+. Then the storms start. Some the storms today were huge. Lighting and winds from a handheld meter reading up to 37MPH.

Heading South to Southeast was the game plan, but proved to be a bad decision. That's where all the storms were developing. Oh well, that's the story of my life. The weather Gods love to punish me. We found ourselves in one storm that lasted for almost two hours around 3 this afternoon. Seas were 8-10 throughout the storm. We didn't get back into port until almost 9PM. Rough day today for 7 fish. 5 dolphin (20-45lbs), 2 Hoo's (25 & 40lbs). No billfish raised.

I should have gone on that Big E trip. They probably were far north near Gunnison. I bet they didn't even get wet and had seas in the 4-5 range all day. I'm typing once again on this little piece of crap laptop that is half the size of my hands. Not a freaking break all day.

Well, I'm being yelled at to come grill some fish. It's late and this scotch tastes might good. No fishing tomorrow. We'ver had it.

18. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

You gotta have bawlz to go out on a day like yesterday. The radar looked pretty ominous. Storms were exploding all over the Gulf.

Congrats on your catch....

19. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

My luck continues. The best looking forecast for me in years this weekend and my Mother-In-Law has a stroke late last night. Family and hospital duty will keep me at home. I think I'll go to church this Sunday and try and figure out why I'm being punished.

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

My luck continues. The best looking forecast for me in years this weekend and my Mother-In-Law has a stroke late last night. Family and hospital duty will keep me at home. I think I'll go to church this Sunday and try and figure out why I'm being punished.

I'm sorry to hear that MrBill. You do possibly have the worst luck I know.

21. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Those Snapper and making me hungry....