Ronz lure

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by ksong, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Sluggo becomes hot lure for bluefin. I saw with my own eyes how effective it is for bluefin as well as how easy it is to fish.
    After searching for and experimenting some sluggo types of lures, I concluded to carry Ronz and Bill Hurley lures at my shop.
    I found Ron and Bill are avid fishermen themselves and their products are results from their extensive testing on the water. Ron said he caught as many as 7 blueifn with RonZ on a single trip. :eek:
    Ron used to use 3X and 4X Mustad hooks for tuna model and he is using 3X and 4x Gamakatsu hooks now even prices become higher.
    I told him I wouldn't contact him if he still use Mustad hooks jokingly. :)

RonZ lures are originally designed for striped bass, but they found tuna love them and most tuna popping/jigging fishermen fishing Cape Cod carry some type of sluggo and RonZ lures are very popular. I saw some boats use only this kind of lures for bluefin.

I am thinking about going on an overnight trip in Gulf of Mexico to test these lures as well as some other lures for yellowfin. But it is not easy decision as bluefin bites continues out of Cape Cod, MA as well as out of Cape may, NJ now. :)

[​IMG]

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Sluggo becomes hot lure for bluefin. I saw with my own eyes how effective it is for bluefin as well as how easy it is to fish.
    After searching for and experimenting some sluggo types of lures, I concluded to carry Ronz and Bill Hurley lures at my shop.
    I found Ron and Bill are avid fishermen themselves and their products are results from their extensive testing on the water. Ron said he caught as many as 7 blueifn with RonZ on a single trip. :eek:
    Ron used to use 3X and 4X Mustad hooks for tuna model and he is using 3X and 4x Gamakatsu hooks now even prices become higher.
    I told him I wouldn't contact him if he still use Mustad hooks jokingly. :)

RonZ lures are originally designed for striped bass, but they found tuna love them and most tuna popping/jigging fishermen fishing Cape Cod carry some type of sluggo and RonZ lures are very popular. I saw some boats use only this kind of lures for bluefin.

I am thinking about going on an overnight trip in Gulf of Mexico to test these lures as well as some other lures for yellowfin. But it is not easy decision as bluefin bites continues out of Cape Cod, MA as well as out of Cape may, NJ now. :)

[​IMG]

RonZ was my "go to" lure for my first year of Bluefin fishing up here. Last year it was hard to find on dealer shelves because it was so hot. You can cast, troll or jig this, with great results--if you can find the fish!

3. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I absolutely love those Bill Hurley's too! They are the best Sand Eel imitation for Tuna that I have seen yet. Designed the same as the RonZ, you can cast, troll or jig it as well. I think it looks a little better in the water than a RonZ. Still, plain old 12 inch unweighted Sluggo's are hard to beat too.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

RonZ was my "go to" lure for my first year of Bluefin fishing up here. Last year it was hard to find on dealer shelves because it was so hot. You can cast, troll or jig this, with great results--if you can find the fish!
    Roger, you were the first who introduced RonZ to me. Thanks. :)
    I spent more time with Ron to talk about bluefin fishing up there than to discuss about bunisess.
    Ron Z and Bill Hurley have similar philosophy to run their business. They both refuse to supply their products to big national retail stores even they are asked.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I absolutely love those Bill Hurley's too! They are the best Sand Eel imitation for Tuna that I have seen yet. Designed the same as the RonZ, you can cast, troll or jig it as well. I think it looks a little better in the water than a RonZ. Still, plain old 12 inch unweighted Sluggo's are hard to beat too.
    Yes, Bill Hurely make nice sluggo tyle soft lures too. I can not tell which one work better for bluefin between Ron Z and Bill Hurley. I am going to carry both of them and let fishermen choose.
    Bill Hurley products will arrive soon.

6. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Yes, Bill Hurely make nice sluggo tyle soft lures too. I can not tell which one work better for bluefin between Ron Z and Bill Hurley. I am going to carry both of them and let fishermen choose.
    Bill Hurley products will arrive soon.

It will be good to have another source for them as I only have one right now. Thanks Kil!

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR