Roll call for July 4th Big E trip

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by txseadog, Jun 5, 2008.

1. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Here's the list of everyone on this board that is on the trip.
    6X6
    Bellyups
    DeepBlueGulf
    Gimmedeal
    Fathom
    Sea Crappie
    Semipro
    Lexpro
    Awesome
    Bluedude
    Uncle Russ
    Drifter
    D-A
    Muddskipper
    Capt Billfish
    Grescobia
    Txseadog
    atunatado
    Jep
    Snagged
    Angelo

21 total

Tentative:
    Kil
    Randy
    Sami
    Minnow

Post up or send me a PM if any changes are needed.

2. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Is it time to leave yet?????

I'm dreaming of tuna every night......

3. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'm IN!! Getting my gear ready and packin the soy and wasabi. Russ will bring charcoal for the gray meat afficianados.

Fred

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Roger that!

Sea Crappie is confirmed! I can't wait. :D

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

6. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

7. jureal

jureal Senior Member

You guys are going to have a blast with this cast of characters.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Confirmed!!!!!

Purchase all Items Check.
    Locate Lost Items Check.
    All tackle stowed. Check.
    All reels spooled (1 out for servicing) Check.
    Knots tied: 50 percent.
    Rods rigged for pathetic, senior citizen-type rail use when things get really tough and the tough can't get it going any more. Check.
    Mental note made not to try using rail with spinning gear. Check.
    POS Milk Crate 50 percent complete (not sure whether it will be used yet) Check.
    SDPSSW Status: (7) pieces in possession. Check.
    Piggy Bank Robbed (for pool money to pay Grescobias expenses.) Check.
    Credit Limit above fifty Dollars? Check.
    Pot for boiling tuna in Microwave- Check.

I haven't been this pumped since the kickoff of the 1969 Texas/Arkansas game. I'm full of hate, and the lust for victory. Fred--I may require restraint!

I also believe that if Sami is a go, then Randy will be on the trip as well--don't know that for a fact.

Gres: Do you have your 700XH yet, and is it a spinner or conventional?

Russ

9. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I'm in! And Bluedude is too.

I just hope Fred doesn't make me eat any raw tuna .... :D

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

awesum: I see Fred frequently at Whole Foods taking cooking classes and discussing the seasons' Beaujolet Neuveau with the wine stewards. I understand he will be touring the south of France on a wine and cheese-tasting tour.

11. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

In and praying the wind dies......

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Sami and Randy might not join the trip as they have a trip to Panama together at the same time.
    I am not sure I can make the trip either as I come back from Alaska trip on July 1st. But I still have enough time to find a way to convince my wife why I have to go on the trip. :)

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: Come on!!!!! I want to learn how to jig! I don't intend to fish--but just stand behind you with my rig the entire 76 hours, doing everything you do.

Think of it this way--Choice 1: A blistering 100 plus yellowfin tuna or wahoo crushing your jig and digging in for a fight. Choice 2: Hauling up ling cod and halibut like so many rubber tires filled with concrete. :)

Russ

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Think of it this way--Choice 1: A blistering 100 plus yellowfin tuna or wahoo crushing your jig and digging in for a fight. Choice 2: Hauling up ling cod and halibut like so many rubber tires filled with concrete. :)

Russ
    Russ, I know what you mean. When I fished Kennedy Channel off Homer, Ak in 800-900 ft years ago, It took 15 minutes to haul up a 4 pound sinker with mono line when the boat drift again. :eek: When I had a nice halibut, it was worse as I dind't feel any fight, but a heavy dead weight. :confused: Catching a nice halibut on jigs is nice, but you get bored easily after you catch and release some. But king salmon jigging is different story. It is a blast to hook up a 30 - 40 lbs king salmon on jigs with 20 - 25 lbs light line. I had to fight one hour 30 minutes with 35 lbs king salmon on one action reel with 20 lbs line in Lanaga Island, BC. :eek:
    The main reason I go to Kodiak Island this time is not to jig halibut, but to jig king salmon though halibut are abundant in Kodiak water. They got a 63 lbs king salmon last week though it was caught on troll.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I am in, but might need Uncle Russ to wind in my fish.

d-a

16. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Ksong,
    An employee of mine is going to Sitka, Alaska on monday for a week of fishing I'm wanting to send him with some jigging gear for the salmon can you please make some recomendations.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong,
    An employee of mine is going to Sitka, Alaska on monday for a week of fishing I'm wanting to send him with some jigging gear for the salmon can you please make some recomendations.
    I fished Sitka three times. Fishing is very good there and there are many good fishing operations. They normally go combo trip for halibut and salmon and usualy catch limits for both species.
    I found Luhr Jensen's 4 - 6 oz Stinger is very effective for salmon though any similar size jigs work as well. They do trolling and mooching for salmon. When they do mooching, it is time to jig.

Here are some picutes of Basil who fished Sitka with the Excel crew last week.
    They had limit catches of halibut and salmon everyday in calm weather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Confirmed!!!!!

Purchase all Items Check.
    Locate Lost Items Check.
    All tackle stowed. Check.
    All reels spooled (1 out for servicing) Check.
    Knots tied: 50 percent.
    Rods rigged for pathetic, senior citizen-type rail use when things get really tough and the tough can't get it going any more. Check.
    Mental note made not to try using rail with spinning gear. Check.
    POS Milk Crate 50 percent complete (not sure whether it will be used yet) Check.
    SDPSSW Status: (7) pieces in possession. Check.
    Piggy Bank Robbed (for pool money to pay Grescobias expenses.) Check.
    Credit Limit above fifty Dollars? Check.
    Pot for boiling tuna in Microwave- Check.

I haven't been this pumped since the kickoff of the 1969 Texas/Arkansas game. I'm full of hate, and the lust for victory. Fred--I may require restraint!

I also believe that if Sami is a go, then Randy will be on the trip as well--don't know that for a fact.

Gres: Do you have your 700XH yet, and is it a spinner or conventional?

Russ

LOL!!! That is great.

Super secret tuna killing popper assault project--50% complete.

19. atunatado

atunatado Member

Im in, got it clearance from my old lady last night. I was going to wait until after this weekend to let her know. Im surprised she had not started asking questions about the recent flury of activity in the garage/tackle area....

I did find out today that Captain Frank is no longer with UWE, Captain Monte is in. On their most recent overnight trip, the boat came back with 30yft, 180or so bft good size, and a bunch of amberjack many over 90lbs, groupers and beeliners also.

I have already broken and replaced an OTI jigging rod in preparation. Im calling it a sacrifice to the wind gods, but I think I just pissed them off cause the wind is still blowing.

20. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Atunatado,

It was closer to 400 bf . Capt. Monte was 2nd. on last trip, He is all about catchin ....