Rods Available for Big-E

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Uncle Russ, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

(Edited to include the 700H Conventional): To all those going on the Big-E 76 hour upcoming trip, I have three rods which I do not intend to use that I would be happy to make available to anyone on the trip who:

1. Has an adequate reel and line, but a wussy rod.
    2. Just would like to try them out.

One is the Calstar 760H: 130 pound rating, but really an 80 pound rod, 6 feet long with regular rollers and cold shrink on the fore-grip. I would have no problem with anyone's fishing this to about 35-40 pounds of drag.

A second is the Calstar 700HConventional: SIC guides 7-feet long, and rated for 30-80 pound braid. (See third rod below).

The third is the Calstar 700H Spinner: SIC guides 7-feet long, and rated for 30-80--a great combo for an 8,000 to 20,000 type reel and 50-80 pound line. I would be fine with this being fished at up to 30 pounds or so. I would ask you not to high-stick them or step on them, but I won't be standing over your shoulder the whole time monitoring. :)

If anyone expresses a serious need or interest in using any of these rods, I will be happy to bring them along. If noone does, they stay at home. I would hope that if more than one person has need for them, they would be willing to share. In either case, I would expect whoever borrowed them to manage and store them during the trip so I don't have to, and return them at the dock. Let me know if anyone is interested.

(This offer is conditioned on their being returned by the three dipsticks who are using them in Venice right now. :D The odds against that could be staggering. )

Russ

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I might head to the boat before it takes off with my drag scale and test everyone's drag. i am not buying 40lbs :)

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

That's pretty nice of you UR.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Purevl: Well, good of you to say so, but I have seen a lot of folks posting on this board who have the desire to do this kind of fishing but have a marginal tackle budget--and I ain't using the stuff on this trip. But I suspect most of those undertaking a 76-hour trip have more appropriate tackle than some who go on shorter trips. And besides, I know some of the old timers have supplied a lot more tackle than just a few measly rods. And finally, if somebody decides to take me up on it, how can they then turn me down when I beg them like a dog to haul the POS milk crate up the Big E's stairs? I ask you. Huh?

Bret: I'm surely not saying anybody OUGHT to fish the 760H (or anything else, for that matter), with 40 pounds of drag--just saying I'm pretty sure it can handle that. I have pulled 45 on it in garage tests. :)

Russ

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh yeah, it can definitely take it...theres just no need to really fish with it.

6. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bret: Agree. You may have heard some of my rants about one of my fishing buddies who believes in "maximum drag," and then when he gets a yellowfin on, he ends up bending over the rail like he was trying to make friends with the bad guys in prison.

He never wonders why he has pulled hooks.

Russ

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

well, unless the fish is a monster, it won't go too far with 22-24lbs of drag, especially on a jig or topwater.

i also think if most people set their drags with a scale, they'd be somewhat surprised that their settings are lighter than expected.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Bret: You lost me on that last sentence, Podnuh. Do you mean that their scales are inaccurate on the heavy side or that drag is different during the actual fight?

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

no I'm saying that a lot of times guys will say "oh, i dont need to use a scale, I KNOW what 24lbs feels like". yet when i pull on their reel vs mine which was set with a scale, it's much much lighter.

if you do set it with a scale then i believe it. i just don't see many guys do this too often.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

no I'm saying that a lot of times guys will say "oh, i dont need to use a scale, I KNOW what 24lbs feels like". yet when i pull on their reel vs mine which was set with a scale, it's much much lighter.

if you do set it with a scale then i believe it. i just don't see many guys do this too often.

This is true, I set my drags as Bret does.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Gotcha. Yeah, I think the best $150.00 investment I ever made was a Chatillon 100 pound scale. You talk about a reality check--that's it. And one thing I really like about the ATD Platinum reels is that, instead of a drag adjustment knob, they have a separate lever with indexed settings of "A" through "O". I take 3-5 measurements at every setting I am reasonably likely to use, take the average, and put it into a small laminated spreadsheet. I do that for (1) just past freespool, (2) Strike and (3) Full, then I know what lettered setting to put the drag setting lever to--in the case of the 12, for example, to "J" for tuna and "M" if I have the guts, for big AJ on structure. And with the Twinspins, while you can't do that, you can set the drag on each spool and the spool retains the setting when you switch spools. They also have graduated markings that you can roughly use to reset the drag during a fight (by measuring the differential in drag for so many markings.)

After Captain Eddie reset our drags by hand in Venice (and we went 12 for 13 landing fish for all the rigs we didn't set back to "maximum drag", :) after his back was turned), I measured my drag on the scale and it was a measly 17 pounds at stike, where I had left it the entire time--and none of the fights were more than a few minutes.

Russ

12. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

i also think if most people set their drags with a scale, they'd be somewhat surprised that their settings are lighter than expected.

Oh come now, you mean all those folk that look relaxed as can be in photos stating they were using 50#s of drag really weren't?! :rolleyes:

A scale used to check fish weight, or drag amount, can open a lot of eyes, and take the air out of many windbags.

13. aruvio

aruvio Banned

Russ, I could probably use the 700h as I am not bring any long jigging rod only a 5'8 hopper so that could be my long jigging stick and I could probably fish the bottom with it too right?? Let me know if its still available.

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Aruvio: Both the 700H conventional and the spinner are more in the nature of popping rods, but there are those who use them for jigging. Was it the conventional you want me to bring along or the spinner?

15. aruvio

aruvio Banned

No I was looking for a longer rod for jigging/bait bottom fishing what would double as a long stick jigging for tuna. I sent my rods to Bret today and couldn't fit the longer one in the same package so I scrapped the idea. I'll get by without it though, no biggie.

(conventional)

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

aruvio: PM sent.

Russ