Rod weights

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jb2c, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Anyone have a list of the weights of the more popular brands and models of rods? With weight such an important factor for reels, I'm surprised the mfgs don't list the weights of the rods as well. We could create our own little database here. Is ther anywhere on the net with a listing of weights already?

I have a postal type scale. Just haven't bought a rod yet to weigh!

JB

2. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

St. Croix list their rods' weight.

3. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Which makes are you looking for? I can get you the weights for the full line of Carpenter, Smith and Patriot Design rods, but with a little research all of that info is available on the mfg or dealer's websites. I'm sure Minnow can get you the OTI weights.

As a rough guide, PD and Fisherman will be on the heavy end with Smith and Zenaq in the middle. Carpenter and Hots are generally amongst the lightest rods for a given rating.

4. jb2c

jb2c Guest

I'm looking more at the budget to mid-tier stuff, not the high end rods. Daiwa Saltiga, Trevala, Hopper, Barefoot, Boca, Cedros. And the mid-tier stuff like Sea Magic and OTI. But really, it seems if weight is such an important factor in jigging, ALL mfgs should include the weight of their finished product with the specs they publish/market. Just as important as the line rating and jig weights.

JB

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I'm looking more at the budget to mid-tier stuff, not the high end rods. Daiwa Saltiga, Trevala, Hopper, Barefoot, Boca, Cedros. And the mid-tier stuff like Sea Magic and OTI. But really, it seems if weight is such an important factor in jigging, ALL mfgs should include the weight of their finished product with the specs they publish/market. Just as important as the line rating and jig weights.

JB

Actual weight of the rod is the last consideration in the overall picture of a new rod purchase for me. Most jigging rods will weight within an ounce or two of each other. The reel on the other hand, weight is a big deal since they can vary largely.

d-a

6. jb2c

jb2c Guest

I had no idea the rods would be that close in weight. Would be interested in seeing some actual weights, if anybody has a scale they can use and post up the result.

JB