Rod upgrades

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by redneck_billcollector, Aug 30, 2008.

1. redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector Senior Member

Howdy yall, I presently own a few reels and I would really like to upgrade the rods for these reels. I own a Stella 10000FA which I will more than likely use exclusively for casting and popping, I will spool it with 80lb braid and have been looking for one or possibly two rods to change out for that application. I own a Stella 10000PG that I plan on jigging with, I am torn between either 50lb or 80lb color coded braid for it. I also own a Trinidad 40N which I also plan on using for jigging which I will use either 80 or 50 lb color coded braid on (more than likely it will be 50 if the stella is 80). I have been looking at some of the Japanese rods such as hotts, carpenter, smith, etc... but the models I have been interested in have not been available. I have run across a brand known as Xzoga Takadum that looks like what I want, but I have not really been able to find anyone familiar with them.

I presently do a good bit of jigging for AJs, grouper, snapper with a few kings, wahoo and whatever else comes along in the North East GOM however I am looking at a couple of the long range trips out of Texas and if I can figure out and do good on those trips will probably make a couple or three a year. I also go to Cabo San Lucas mainly for trolling but now that I have started jigging, will probably take my jigging tackle (and hopefully popping tackle too). Any, and all, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Is Billcollector the name of your boat???

3. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

4. redneck_billcollector

Had one before I figured chartering was better named "the Redneck Billcollector" The reason chartering is better, I can now justify fishing other places than my home port. Hard to justify going to Cabo or Kona, with a boat under 3hrs away. The upkeep and storage, etc... is just too much on my income to be able to travel all over fishing, and you don't have to clean up afterwards...lol. Example, this summer fished Woods Wall on the anniverary of Hemmingway's death (where he did allot of fishing) and fished both out of Jacksonville (snapper heaven) and Cabo. Plus P.C. Bch most every other weekend in between, with Destin thrown in a few times with friends down there who have boats, if you offer to cover a good bit of the fuel, the invites are common. I get as much fishing in, in more places for less money.

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

check the OTI Jigging line 60# for the spin
    and 80# for the trini
    there are good OTI rods to match both reels
    and of course a few other good choices if wanted:D

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

If you plan on doing any traveling by air, suggest that you first look at the airlines various length restrictions in place now. Your popping rods need to be two pieces and should not be much more than 5 ft per section. Same restrictions with the jigging rods. Some of my jigging rods are now two piece as well so that I can comply with the now very stringent length restrictions of the airlines. The OTI popping rods in the 7.5 lengths are perfect and are really great rods. Both the 80 and the 50 would be ideal for your Stella 10M.

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

If you plan on doing any traveling by air, suggest that you first look at the airlines various length restrictions in place now. Your popping rods need to be two pieces and should not be much more than 5 ft per section. Same restrictions with the jigging rods. Some of my jigging rods are now two piece as well so that I can comply with the now very stringent length restrictions of the airlines. The OTI popping rods in the 7.5 lengths are perfect and are really great rods. Both the 80 and the 50 would be ideal for your Stella 10M.
    the OTI come in conv and spinning..both 2pcs
    nice rods both great for travel
    the blanks are nice also

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

For popping, I like the OTI 80 and the GUSA Wahoo.

I am yet to discover my favorite jigging rod. I really like the Trevala XXH, but it limits out with about a 35-40 pound AJ. I am currently on the final stages of building a GUSA PURJ 603 blank I bought from Billy40. I think it may fit the bill. I will also be building a Super Seeker CTSF 55 XH for heavy jigging. I am hoping that each of these jigging rods will be great. I will report on them after my next Big E trip.

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

For popping, I like the OTI 80 and the GUSA Wahoo.

I am yet to discover my favorite jigging rod. I really like the Trevala XXH, but it limits out with about a 40 pound AJ. I am currently on the final stages of building a GUSA PURJ 603 blank I bought from Billy40. I think it may fit the bill. I will also be building a Super Seeker CTSF 55 XH for heavy jigging. I am hoping that each of these jigging rods will be great. I will report on them after my next Big E trip.

Your building some nice rods...I like the 602 better for the type of fishing I do..I'm thiking of adding 6'' to the butt end of a 602 & using it for deep drop fishing...

10. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Welcome to the board redneck_billcollector!

I live just a little north of you. I can help ya if you desire to pull on an OTI rod. There is a real reason that folks love these rods...

They are well crafted using quality guides, seat and grips.
    They are backed with a guarantee.
    They preform...

11. redneck_billcollector

I appreciate it Deep Sea Gull. I would love to check out one of those rods. Where do you do most of your fishing? My jigging has been limited to the panhandle area, N E Fla. and the Keys so far, but it has out produced everyone I have fished with on those trips. The pictures of the rods look great, the problem is that I just cant find any... Was at my local outdoor shop yesterday, Backwoods Outdoors between Leesburg and Albany who carries jigging equipment and we went through all the catalogs, every vendor they use, and some they don't, and could not find the first OTI rod. I saw one person post that they love the OTI 80, heck, I can't even find one of those on the internet. Did you find yours in a shop, or did you get it off the internet?

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

OTI should be easy to find. some in shops and alot on the net

13. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I fished a prototype on a trip out Port Fourchon a few years back. So I had no problem buying one. Plus I know the folks that are OTI... I got mine off the internet.
    Ocean Tackle International
    360Tackle