360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am looking to build a deep dropping rod for an electric reel, what blank would be the best, I would prefer Seeker or Calstar. Is there anything other blank that is better? Should the rod have a bent butt? I will put on roller guide for it.

Any input is highly appreciate.

Thank you,
Topper.

·
5,457 Posts
Toppper

Bent butt, both rod blanks will work, shorter length is prefered with a roller tip

Might want to make sure you have backing plates on your rod holders, preferable swivel holders.

PM me if you need some more specifics

d-a

·
1,541 Posts
what kinda fish and how deep?

I've fished up to 1500ft for bottom fish with a regular old 8ft cod stick (calstar 900M cut 10 inches), gusa wahoo, st croix 7'6 premier rod. No need to get fancy

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
if you are using from gunell the bent butt is the way to go.
i am doing a rod for PB use and fishing the rail, going to be a straight build with rail rod grip.
i have 3 or 4 good blank choices.from calstar and seeker.
i have done deep drop rods with the st croix blank.
what reel are you using?

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toppper

Bent butt, both rod blanks will work, shorter length is prefered with a roller tip

Might want to make sure you have backing plates on your rod holders, preferable swivel holders.

PM me if you need some more specifics

d-a

thanks doug i will have to pm you for more info but thank you again

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what kinda fish and how deep?

I've fished up to 1500ft for bottom fish with a regular old 8ft cod stick (calstar 900M cut 10 inches), gusa wahoo, st croix 7'6 premier rod. No need to get fancy

peter, tile fish and deep drop for bigger grouper during summer time they are deep here.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about a saltiga 40 and a 7-8' rod?

i dont know what do you think bret? I want electric reel though :D

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you are using from gunell the bent butt is the way to go.
i am doing a rod for PB use and fishing the rail, going to be a straight build with rail rod grip.
i have 3 or 4 good blank choices.from calstar and seeker.
i have done deep drop rods with the st croix blank.
what reel are you using?

thank you paul. I am looking at the daiwa as the reel right now.

·
1,541 Posts
topper...what else are you going to use those golf muscles for? YOU wanna drive the ball like John Daly and Tiger? You go manual deep drop fishing, and you're not allowed to put the rod on the rail. I guarantee you add 20 yards to every club =) 555

In all seriousness, you dont need a short rod or something with rollers, ive used stock rods like the loomis pelagic serious 8'6 rated 20-40, loomis bbr966c.

A really nice deep drop off the rack rod is seeker black steel 6470 or 6470H, both sick rods taht can handle heavy sinkers and have good backbone. Gusa Predator is also a good choice along with the seeker hercules series by billy vivona

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Go with a seeker Black steel bent butt.......It has a softer action than the calstar & is more forgiving...it will also work great as a standup rod...

I built one for a charter cap in the keys he's using a diawa elect reel with it & using it as a deep drop set-up...

The seeker hercules are not the blank for aftco guides..

I use four deep drop rods in the keys.. United Composite 602 jigging , Wahoo jr & the seeker hercules XLH inshore or the H jigging ...I fish snapper & grouper both in the gulf 20' & ocean side up to 300' of water..For the real deep drops Black steel all the way..CTSF60XXH should work out just fine for a outboard boat & the CTSF55XXH for a inboard boat..I would also use AFTCO wind-on guides..

Good luck & catch em up........

·
1,657 Posts
thank you paul. I am looking at the daiwa as the reel right now.

I got to use those some in Hatteras this year. The daiwa battery packs (@ $400 each **** balls) Save your money and get some of those jump start things from a truck stop. I think they are about $30 each and work way better.

Regarding the bent butts. I'm not sure the rod makes any difference at all when you have 1000+ ft of line out.

Keep the connection into the reel where the wire plugs in, very well greased with dielectric grease. That was an area that caused us issue.

The automatic stop feature is nice when it gets to the top.

All this being said.

1. I caught more using manual and
2. lost way more gear using electrics.

A saltist 50 high speed would be tough to beat IMO.

·
1,541 Posts
Topper if your really going to the leave the rod in the holder and reel the fish in go with a bent butt, if not theres no reason at all to be using bent butts or any of that heavy equipment with aftco roller guides, or short 5'5 rods made for tuna fishing with 50w.

Your bottom fishing meaning, the sinker is on the bottom, the rod doesnt not need to be unyielding up to exactly 5lbs of lead which is why people up here are catching 50-60lb tiles using 5 lbs of lead using long parabolic rods.

Mike Jung of peacetoken tackle one of the best bottomfisherman i know PERIOD likes to use an daiwa interline rod strangly enough for its parabolic soft action.

·
5,457 Posts
It would have been if they used decent components, but the swivel end is extremely cheap.

For a $150 dollars with a Aluminum Bent butt and aftco roller tip, I couldnt build one for less. And If and when I burn the guides up I would put better ones on

d-a

·
3,719 Posts
FWIW,I fished for years ,Commercially, with 620 xp electramate. always used a homemade outrodder. this was the standard amoung the small fleet of guys that did this. we made our own ,but the commercial ones would work the same.

·
1,657 Posts
For a $150 dollars with a Aluminum Bent butt and aftco roller tip, I couldnt build one for less. And If and when I burn the guides up I would put better ones on

d-a

I agree. Used to love the outbanks outfitters stuff for this same reason.

A regular aftco roller tip is at least $60, but they come with a sort of cheap batson looking roller top that has aftco stamped on it. Defenitely not the aftco stuff we are used to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts